I have a weird question!

Options
okay so this weekend i didnt watch my cals i pretty much ate whatever including little ceasers pizza and all of that and i kinda figured i would of gained weight from it and its showing ive lost like a lb has anyone else expereinced this before too? im back to the dieting starting today but i just thought it was weird that it showed i lost weight even tho i was eating more then 1200 cals

Replies

• smoore85
    smoore85 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    ive read that having a splurge day every so often can kick start your metabolism up a gear,, not sure how true it is though..
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    ive read that having a splurge day every so often can kick start your metabolism up a gear,, not sure how true it is though..

its because you're tricking your body. if you treat your body once or twice a week, then your body will believe it will get enough calories and won't approach starvation mode where its storing fat.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    This happens to me quite often. If your weight is "stuck" for a while, you'll get advice here to zig zag your calories, or increase them from 1200. It works!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You should be NETTING 1200 calories. You've probably been starving your body until now and didn't realize it.
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The scale is tricky like that. I don't take it to heart, because you'll have those opposing weeks where you work your *kitten* off but gain anyway. There are so many factors to slight gain/loss, so it's a bad indicator of whether or not a habit is beneficial or detrimental. That has to be measured (unfortunately) in the long run.
  • Nichole90
    Nichole90 Posts: 118
    Options
    im not sure what the net cals are but i was eating 1230 cals a day so i dont think i was starving myself its been about 3 weeks and ive lost 6lbs i just thought that was weird how i didnt gain weight from over eating but hey i dont mind that one bit :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    See, our bodies are VERY good at adapting to what we put in them. Live on 1200 calories for a while, and your body will get very good at getting by on those 1200 calories. It's totally annoying, since that essentially means either my body can't do basic math or it's trying to sabotage my efforts. Or both. That's why I get irked every time I hear someone saying losing weight is simple math. umm, no.
  • Nichole90
    Options
    See, our bodies are VERY good at adapting to what we put in them. Live on 1200 calories for a while, and your body will get very good at getting by on those 1200 calories. It's totally annoying, since that essentially means either my body can't do basic math or it's trying to sabotage my efforts. Or both. That's why I get irked every time I hear someone saying losing weight is simple math. umm, no.
    lol
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Well, I ate close to 3k calories on Sunday then went back to eating normal about 1800 and somehow lost 2 lbs. I think it's really good to spice things up once in awhile! At least once a week.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    im not sure what the net cals are but i was eating 1230 cals a day so i dont think i was starving myself its been about 3 weeks and ive lost 6lbs i just thought that was weird how i didnt gain weight from over eating but hey i dont mind that one bit :)

Food Calories - Exercise Calories = NET Calories

Your NET calories are listed on your summary page. If you net below 1200 you will lose at first and then your body will think it is starving and you will stop losing. Just something to think about. You'll probably start seeing this a lot on the message boards.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    zig zagging calories or having a cheat meal here or there can actually be beneficial. You have to eat 3,500 calories over your goal to equate to 1lb of fat in a week. This is a significant amount. So you probably jolted your metabolism a bit and having that pizza in the long run wasn't that bad for you...
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    The scale is tricky like that. I don't take it to heart, because you'll have those opposing weeks where you work your *kitten* off but gain anyway. There are so many factors to slight gain/loss, so it's a bad indicator of whether or not a habit is beneficial or detrimental. That has to be measured (unfortunately) in the long run.

Very true. This past week I have done pretty well, but when I weigh in tomorrow I won't have lost, might of even gained. Its a little depressing but you gotta roll with it
  • cantina920
    cantina920 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The exact same thing happened to me this week! I had several/ a lot / too many cheat meals this past week, plus not enough exercise, but when I stepped on the scale, it showed a loss of 5 pounds! We'll see how this week goes!
  • Nichole90
    Options
    zig zagging calories or having a cheat meal here or there can actually be beneficial. You have to eat 3,500 calories over your goal to equate to 1lb of fat in a week. This is a significant amount. So you probably jolted your metabolism a bit and having that pizza in the long run wasn't that bad for you...
    ill have to remember that :) thanks!
  • butterfly0589
    butterfly0589 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

well it is simple math, but biology is different for all of us so two people can have same cals in and recorded as out but their bodies metabolize them cals differently (not arguing with you btw!)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!