Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I want to buy a heart rate monitor by the end of the week to see how many calories I am actually burning vs just an estimate. I have been looking into the polar models. Anyone have any suggestions on a good one??

Thanks!

Replies

• mrswiley07
    mrswiley07 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I want to buy a heart rate monitor by the end of the week to see how many calories I am actually burning vs just an estimate. I have been looking into the polar models. Anyone have any suggestions on a good one??

Thanks!

A lot of people have recommended the Polar FT4 to me. It costs about $90.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Polar is def. what you want. If you want just the basics the FT4 or FT7 should be fine. I have the Ft7 and I love it!
  • taylorgirl
    Options
    Polar F4...Basic User Friendly, affortable & reliable.
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and really love it. But I think that any of the Polar models will do great. They have excellent customer service and a great line of products.
  • bjalter
    bjalter Posts: 43
    Options
    Start with a very basic Polar model. If you work out in a gym, the nice thing about many of the cardio machines is that they can read the signal from a Polar chest strap, so you don't even need to wear the watch.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    IDK about Polar, I know it's suppose to be great, top of the line, blah blah blah, but call me biased, and I am, lol, but I have a New Balance N4 for Women and it gives me exactly what I want. The time, my calories burned, and a few other little things here and there. it has a chest strap and trust me you deff. forget that you are wearing one because it's so comfortable. and the price is the best part. i got mines for 45 off e-bay and it cost no more than like 50 bucks at target is what i was told. or 55. so if you got money to blow, go polar, but smarter choice is new balance

Edit: and it also picks up the signal from the chest strap. so when I'm on the treadmill like the Polar, I don't have to look at my watch.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    After MUCH research and a mistake the first time- I have the Polar FT4. I absolutely LOVE it. Not only do I love the idea of knowing how many calories I am actually burning so that I can eat accordingly, but I can also push myself more and see the results in black and white.

Now, I first (becasue I was being a cheapo) bought the TIMEX and it was literally a POS and I had to return it. Sometimes it would read, sometimes it wouldnt..... it just wasnt worth the headache.

So, I ordered my Polar FT4 from Amazon and got BY FAR the best price ($58 with free shipping)...... I looked at the FT7 and realized that it has way to many options for what I needed and didnt want to have to worry if I messed something up a long the way (I am NOT a technology buff). So I kept it simple and I am sure glad I did!