Is 10 pounds a month too high?

Options
I feel like it's a good goal to set for myself, but I know it's not always going to be reached. Should I just set my goal a little less, like 8 or 5?

Replies

• Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    1-2 pounds a week is what just about everyone suggests is healthiest
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I think it is (too high, per the title). If you think of a month as 4 weeks, even at 2 lbs a week, that's 8. And 2 lbs a week, while technically healthy, is not realistic over a long period of time. If I've learned anything, some weeks you won't lose anything. So aiming for 2 lbs a week (or more) might just set you up to fail.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    For starting out, I don't think so. Weight comes off pretty quickly in the beginning.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    depends on alot of things

for myself at 185 no I could not do 10 a month ( i`m in the 5/6 pounds a month range right now) the closer you are to your goal weight the slower the weight comes off
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    1-2 pounds a week is what just about everyone suggests is healthiest

This.
  • Nikkiairforcewife
    Nikkiairforcewife Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I listen to Fat2FitRadio podcasts (religiously) and they recommend 1% of body weight per week. That way you're losing fat but not losing muscle.

For some people that might be 10 pounds a month. For others, it won't be. It's a good way to estimate.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    At your weight, it is not really too high. As you continue, just keep in mind that you won't be losing at that rate. Good luck with your journey.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My brother just lost 18 pounds in a month with the help of mfp.. and some healthy supplements I had him to take, and a good exercise plan... He is taking megamen sport vitamins from GNC, triple strength fish oil, and L-carnitine the healthiest weight loss vitamin there is. It uses fat for energy instead of carbohydrates.... I don't see how he lost it so fast... but he did, and I hope he keeps it off.... but 2 pounds a week is usually the highest you should shoot for unless you are morbidly obese....
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i weigh 133 and i lose about 5lbs a month. in the beginning i lost 10lbs my first month, so no, i don;t think it's too high. my starting weight was 166. i'm sure you can lose 10lbs a month just fine :))
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Depends on you. How will you react if you don't hit it? Will you work harder or give up? I chose 5 lbs a month as my goal, because I know that everytime I hit that goal, it gives me a boast mentally. You will hit snags and plateaus, but I have been able to keep losing 5 lbs a month now for 7 months and it hasn't been too stressful. But that is me. You have to find what works best for you.

Good luck!:drinker:
  • laurenpence
    Options
    I have found that if I set my goal higher, I work harder to acheive it. Just remember if you dont meet your goal that its ok, just look at the progress you did make!
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Set up a sane program for yourself and stick with it. Don't cheat and don't go over your calories and see what you lose. It is not recommended to go below 1200 cal a day, so start with that. I don't eat any of my exercise calories either. If you watch extreme makeover weight loss they are on 2000 cal a day, but they work out 4 hours a day, so you know they aren't eating their exercise calories. I have been doing this for 2 1/2 months without cheating or going over and lost 33 lbs. So it can be done. You are much younger than I am, so with some dedication and determination, I'm sure you can do it too.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you have to lose. If you have a big chunk of weight to lose, it's possible. For me, it's not. I struggle to lose 1 lb per week because my body has gotten used to working out and eating a certain amount, I really can't function on less. I got by with a larger deficit when I first started, lost 20 lbs easy that way... then I had to eat more to lose at all and I've stayed that way. You will probably get to a point where you're the same way but if you can leave some exercise calories and still lose, go for it. Once it stops, you'll have to eat most or all of them.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    The more obese you are, the more likely you can pull that off, but over time it will be harder to achieve that goal. If you are not obese, it will be impossible. I lost 20lbs the first month, and 10 lbs for the last two months. Hoping I can still lose 10 lbs for this month. As far as the myth that losing more than 2 lbs a week is unhealthy, this would only be true if you are only overweight. Obese people can do this easily without any problems. Additionally, many people say that more than 2 lbs a week means you will gain it back, but that is only on the assumption that you will return to old habits. This is a lifestyle change and if you continue to eat right and exercise, you will not gain it back.
  • Kristy144
    Kristy144 Posts: 166
    Options
    I don't think so, 5-10lbs a month is healthy! I am also aiming for a 10lb loss each month!
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Someone probably already said this...but the goals you set for yourself should be based on your personality and how you react to goals. Do you get disappointed if you don't reach a goal? If so, you should set your sights a bit lower so that you can constantly satisfy your goals. If you strive harder when you know a goal has been set for yourself, then set it high, but don't give up if you don't reach it, just appreciate what you DO manage to accomplish. It's all about personality.
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your current weight. I started MFP at 366 and has lost an average of 2.75 lbs a week for the last 3.5 months. On the other hand my daughter who was 100lbs smaller has been averaging 1.5-2lbs a week. My calories are set to just under 2000 a day now so I'm not starving myself. I have done very little exercise due to health reasons. I personally don't think it is if you are at a higher weight.
  • Smangieee
    Options
    I say go for it!! In the beginning of my weight loss I lost about 20 lbs by eating healthy and doing the Insanity workout. But thats the easy part now I want to lose another 20 but it gets a lot tougher!
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    you have your entire life to lose weight. im losing two pounds a month and im very happy with that. its not all about seeing the pounds drop off but its more so about gradually adjusting your body to being a healthy one.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    That's pretty high (depending on how many weeks are in the particular month), but if you aren't hard on yourself for not meeting that goal, if it works out that way, and you stay over 1200 calories per day, I don't see why not... :smile: