addicted to soda trying to stop drinking it

what do you do to stop drinking it. I keep saying I'm going to stop drinking it but I end up caving in.

Replies

• GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Is it because you are addicted to the caffeine?

I got off the caffeine with tea. I used green tea, but regular works too. I bought a big pitcher and two boxes of tea bags - one with and one without caffeine. The pitcher was so big that it took 8 tea bags to brew one batch. So I started with 8 regular (with caffeine) tea bags. Each pitcher I made after I replaced one tea bag with a decaffeinated bag. Eventually I got all the way down to all 8 tea bags being without caffeine.

When I quit caffeine in college I went cold turkey and it was horrible. Headaches and shakes. Horrible!! But this time, with the tea bag step down, I had NO symptoms at all and I am now off caffeine completely!
  • brittbergh
    brittbergh Posts: 130 Member
    I used to seriously be able to drink upwards of 8 cans of pepsi or dr. pepper a day...A DAY!!!! If I ran out I would wait and be thirsty until my husband came home with more...if that's not addicted than I don't know what is

I just stopped. I told myself this was outragous and I needed to cut it out. I went through over a week of what felt like withdraw including massive headaches, crappy attitude, and extreme cravings but once I was over that I felt better. I drink MiO flavored water when I want a sweet kick, I really like their sweet tea flavor with a drop of peppermint!!

Good luck! It isn't easy but if you put your mind to it than you can do it
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    I say to myself, "What do I want more? This soda or this goal?".
  • I love soda......so I stopped buying it....if its not in my house I cant drink it. If we go out to eat I might have it but that is the only time. I stopped drinking it cold turkey and did miss the caffiene and bubbles but now I just drink water with lemon or unsweetened tea
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    It's a hard addiction to cure....I am/was/maybe still am a Pepsi Max addict....

I have pretty much stopped drinking it during the week, have a treat one on the weekends. I have replaced it with Carhbonated Water...no where near as nice and I still feel a bit cranky when I drink it cause I know it's not Pepsi, but I'm getting there LOL
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    eh don't switch to diet soda whatever you do lol.. it becomes MORE addicting. I recommend buying higher priced soda in the glass bottles...that way its acts more like a reward or a special occasion thing.

i bought myself some root beer and its still in the fridge, im planing on making a float with it when i feel i deserve it lol
  • tnealxx1
    tnealxx1 Posts: 10
    try diet mt dew, or diet orange crush.! it is amazing really cold!!!!
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Instead of trying to quit cold turkey, reduce your intake each day or each week by one glass. If you have 4 glasses a day, have only 3 tomorrow. I still indulge in soda at least a few times per week, because depriving myself only makes me want it more. By reducing it, I'm still enjoying the flavor (and ecstasy) of soda, but with far less calorie damaging. :o)
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Water. Drink your water. I wasn't going to quit drinking soda- I loved my Diet Coke- but the more water I drank the less I wanted it. After awhile I noticed that even when I got a Diet Coke I was only drinking about half of it. Now I don't even crave it. No withdrawal either... But I haven't given up my morning cup of coffee, so that might be why. ;)
  • avidly
    avidly Posts: 6
    Replace it with diet soda (at first, I won't advocate drinking it indefinitely), unsweetened tea, and unsweetened coffee. Wean yourself off of it. Consciously make an effort to order something else or just water when at restaurants.

Think about why you keep drinking it. Do you miss the sweetness, the caffeine, or the carbonation?

There are some teas that have fruity flavors if you need something sweet, and coffee will give you a caffeine boost.

After a couple of weeks without drinking it, you'll be off and won't really want to go back. I find soda to be too sickly sweet and heavy now. You'll also be saving money by not needing to buy a case or spend $1.50 at the vending machine. Tea is far cheaper. Good luck!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I just kept telling myself the high fructose corn syrup, straight sugar, very little hydration I get from soda, even though I LOOOVE me some Dr Pepper...is just not worth it. I could never have just one serving, so I just don't buy it. It almost kills me when my boyfriend buys it but I've gotten to the point, finally, where I can take a sip of his and that's it. I can see the 2 Liter in the fridge and not touch it - unless I know it fits into my day perfectly like I have a TON of calories and I've already worked out a lot. Sometimes I'll reward myself but most of the time, it's not even worth it to me.

Now I have a spinal problem & am not supposed to have caffeine so if I HAVE to have soda (can't have pizza without it), I'll get Barq's root beer because it's caffeine free.
  • Amandamccl
    Amandamccl Posts: 380
    eh don't switch to diet soda whatever you do lol.. it becomes MORE addicting. I recommend buying higher priced soda in the glass bottles...that way its acts more like a reward or a special occasion thing.

i bought myself some root beer and its still in the fridge, im planing on making a float with it when i feel i deserve it lol

diet soda is what I'm addicted to
  • eelamme
    eelamme Posts: 1,135 Member
    From one soda addict to another, I feel your pain. Someone suggested I drink two liters of water for every liter of soda I drank. Seemed undoable. Eventually, with enough nagging, while at work I'd have a bottle of each at my desk....kept the water closer w/in reach. Granted, I still consider myslef an addict and on days off, I rarely drink water but, at least a few days a week, I am increasing my water intake....immensely!
  • KPaden1221
    KPaden1221 Posts: 433
    I quit cold turkey about 2 years ago.. it was AWFUL for about a week.. migraines stomach aches CRAZY CRAVINGS etc.. but I just stopped.. started drinking water and the occasional tea.. dont care for tea that much.. but now since I have my "ADDICTION" udner control.. I will have one or 2 soda every now and again.. usually on Saturday's or Sunday's.. I LOOOVE THEM!! But I always drink diet.. Yesterday I didn't get my coffee in, i have one small cup usualy to get me started (i never log it b'c I NEVER but anything in it) and i HAD to have a Diet Dr. Pepper it was like drinking a little bit of HEAVEN!
  • I used to drink 10+ Diet Cokes a day. I hardly drink any now, after discovering Mio water enhancer. I LOVE Mio!! I don't know what they put in it, but once I started drinking Mio, I pretty much quit Diet Coke all together.
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    bubble water. bubble water. bubble water.

i have been feeling the same. I drink a ton of water at work all day but after awhile it gets really old. your palate wants some texture. I love the raspberry bubble water that isn't sweetened. I like the brand h2oh
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    I switched to sparkling water, and then just quit it all together.
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    I got rid of all the soda in my house and just stopped drinking it
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    I got rid of all the soda in my house and just stopped drinking it
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Don't buy it and don't put it in your mouth. The only way to stop drinking something or eating something is to simply not put it in your mouth! It is so easy if you truly want to do it!