Have a Good Broccoli Recipe?

Options
jess213tx
jess213tx Posts: 85 Member
I love eating broccoli at restaurants - but I don't have much practice making it from home. Anyone have a good broccoli recipe, or broccoli stir fry recipe, etc?

Replies

• Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I usally steam my broccoli with a little butter and Mrs. Dash seasonings. I also eat raw broccoli with zesty italian dressing poured over it and I let it sit over night and soak up the dressing. :)
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    I love boiled broccoli - simply boil for 4 minutes and it's delish.
    There is a broccoli salad that I love (with raisins, sunflower seed kernels, bacon bits & dressing) - I got it from the Kraft website.
    Another good one from the Kraft website is called Cheesy Broccoli Bake and I'm actually having it as my side dish for supper tonight!!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    On the BBQ is awsome! So much better than in the oven.

I cook a lot of it b/c we love it, about 300g with 2-3 tsp of olive oil tossed with black pepper and garlic powder or better yet Club House Red Pepper and Garlic spice.
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    I like to just bake it, to be honest. Spray with a little cooking spray and toss it in the oven (350-400 degrees) till it's good and hot and a bit crispy on the top.

Also, frozen broccoli and frozen veggies in general are quite good because they are frozen at the peak of ripeness and are therefore packed with nutrients. So you could defrost some, then toss with whole wheat pasta, chopped up garlic, red pepper flakes, and a tsp of olive oil. Yum!

Also, broccoli is my favorite pizza topping (you could make mini pizzas with pita bread instead of crust. That or Whole Food's whole wheat dough is actually reasonable calorie-wise).
  • amymunn
    amymunn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i just put some EVOO spray on it, sprinkle on some parmesan cheese and broil it for about 15 minutes. mmmm.
    thats using a frozen bag too so its super easy!
  • Run4UrHealth
    Options
    I love boiled broccoli - simply boil for 4 minutes and it's delish.
    There is a broccoli salad that I love (with raisins, sunflower seed kernels, bacon bits & dressing) - I got it from the Kraft website.
    Another good one from the Kraft website is called Cheesy Broccoli Bake and I'm actually having it as my side dish for supper tonight!!

I love the broccoli salad but it is so good I always eat way to much...someone gave me a recipe for a lighter version and it was not as good. :)
  • ajchildres
    Options
    I found this recipe on www.allrecepies.com: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/garlic-broccoli/detail.aspx. I usually have great success with their recepies.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Options
    BUMP
  • taffy42
    taffy42 Posts: 1
    Options
    I love broccoli too. I either stirfry it with mushrooms, beansprouts, cabbage, carrots and onion. Adding garlic and light soy sauce. To this i will add either chicken or prawns. Basic but very nice, and filling!!
    Also broccoli is lush with roasted veg. I always put the broccoli in later, about 20 mins before ready. Carrots, red onion, peppers, potatoes(not many), mushrooms(these added same time as broccoli), anything you like really. Spray with 1 cal, season and garlic. Roast until cooked. I roast chicken separately with seasoning in a foil bag.
    Roasted broccoli is lush!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jess213tx
    jess213tx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to try and bake some broccoli tonight :)
  • Bachoy1973
    Options
    This salad was really good. Here is the link to the recipe.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/12/broccoli-and-cauliflower-salad-with.html
  • solflyer81
    solflyer81 Posts: 119
    Options
    On the BBQ is awsome! So much better than in the oven.

I cook a lot of it b/c we love it, about 300g with 2-3 tsp of olive oil tossed with black pepper and garlic powder or better yet Club House Red Pepper and Garlic spice.

i do a similar thing and my parents and my kids love it. I steam the broccoli till its almost done, then i sautee it in a little olive oil and about 3 cloves of garlic (i love garlic) and add red pepper flakes. Its delicious, low in calories and packs some flavor and it almost goes with any protein/carb meal.
  • ammient3
    ammient3 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use organic virgin coconut oil instead evoo and stirfry it with other veggies and NO SOY SAUCE I use OYSTER SAUCE maybe put either shrimp or cube up some chicken to go with it!
  • I_GoT_ThIs
    I_GoT_ThIs Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I sometimes will steam it and season it with lemon pepper and garlic powder, It's actually very good. :)
  • ashleymariec89
    ashleymariec89 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use organic virgin coconut oil instead evoo and stirfry it with other veggies and NO SOY SAUCE I use OYSTER SAUCE maybe put either shrimp or cube up some chicken to go with it!

Yum, I just made this, but used EVOO and a little bit of red pepper flakes :)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Sesame broccoli- stir fry in a little spray oil (add a dash of water to create a little steam) then dress with a few drops of sesame oil (a little goes a loooong way) and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Best served with fish/chicken or tofu.

Blend cooked broccoli (cook until soft) with extra light soft cheese/ laughing cow extra light (I used the blue cheese variety) and 1-2 crushed garlic cloves/ garlic salts and a little milk and this makes a lovely cheesy broccoli pasta sauce. Add a bit of cornflour if it is too thin.
  • MysterriGal
    MysterriGal Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Broccoli is sooo good! My go to side dish is broccoli florets microwaved in a bowl with a teeny bit of water for 2 minutes, nice and still a little crunchy. I usually just put some honey mustard on it. Broccoli is good baked, last night I cut up some veggies (Broccoli, mushrooms, carrots and celery) and I had some pork chops cubed on top of it, seasoned it and baked it all on 350 for about an hour, then add sauce. I was bad and went with a cream soup, but anything would work, bbq sauce, italian dressing, stirfry sauce.
    Broccoli is a good stuffing ingredient too. Mix some laughing cow cheese (I used 6 with enough veggies to make enough for 4 breasts) with broccoli,peppers and mushrooms cut up really tiny and stuff a chicken breast and bake it on 375.
    And I second it as a pizza topping, so good on a pita pizza with some spinach, chicken, peppers and mushrooms.
    Its also good IN a pita, its usually my main ingredient. Really good combo is a bunch of broccoli, strawberries and your fav cheese (I used a herbed havarti) and use your favourite salad dressing, a red pepper hummus dressing is really good, as is italian.
    Also a great addition to an omelet!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Roast it with a little evoo and garlic, salt and pepper.
  • SarahRoseMiranda
    Options
    OK, so I have a hands-down best broccoli recipe EVER! Thank you to my MIL for making it for us and giving me the recipe :)

Roasted Broccoli Recipe
    (makes 4 servings)
    2 pounds broccoli crowns
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon sugar ( I use SPLENDA to cut down the cals)
    ground black pepper (optional)

Preheat oven to 500F. Cover the bottom of a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil (not necessary but aids in clean-up). Place sheet on the lowest rack of the oven while oven heats up.

Cut crowns into 4 wedges LENGTHWISE Place broccoli in bowl and add olive oil, salt, sugar, and pepper to taste (optional). Toss to combine. When oven is heated, place broccoli on baking sheet and roast for 11 minutes (until slightly browned). Serve and enjoy!

My kids and husband eat this like candy! The broccoli seriously tastes Delicious! Enjoy :)
  • massamargo
    Options
    I got this one from a vegan cookbook. It tastes similar to pot pie:

Mash a can of chickpeas with salt, 21 seasoning salute, and 1/2 cup of bread crumbs.
    Saute broccoli (how much is up to you, I used a 16oz bag of frozen florets) with onion and garlic until a little soft.
    Mix broccoli with chickpea mixture, add a little water to help it stick together.
    Press mixture into a square oiled baking dish and bake 350 for 20-30 minutes.