???

Options
ok so...
- if you hardly eat you get big because the food you do eat goes into storage and makes you fat
-you need 1200 cal/day for your body not to go to starvation mode ,you need to burn 500 more than you intake so just at that little amount you need to burn 1700 cal...so if i burn 200 for 15 on the elliptical i need to do 1hr and a half on that thing!?!
- to make your metabolisim go faster you need to eat all the time...wouldnt that make you big until you got used to it?

I'm confused as to what i need to do. if i do need 1hr and a half on the elliptical i'll do it ...just seems i cant win either way......maybe i'm crazy lol but i'm getting frustrated...lol

Replies

• dncr8707
    Options
    ok so...
    - if you hardly eat you get big because the food you do eat goes into storage and makes you fat
    -you need 1200 cal/day for your body not to go to starvation mode ,you need to burn 500 more than you intake so just at that little amount you need to burn 1700 cal...so if i burn 200 for 15 on the elliptical i need to do 1hr and a half on that thing!?!
    - to make your metabolisim go faster you need to eat all the time...wouldnt that make you big until you got used to it?

I'm confused as to what i need to do. if i do need 1hr and a half on the elliptical i'll do it ...just seems i cant win either way......maybe i'm crazy lol but i'm getting frustrated...lol
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs something different to prevent starvation. 1200 does NOT apply to everyone...it is a very, very, very, incredibly general number. You need to eat at least 10*your bodyweight in calories to preserve your muscle mass and ensure you're only allowing enough of a deficit to lose fat.

Your BMR is based on a lot of things..on this site they use your gender, height, and body weight. Yours will be more than 1200, because most people's are.

To lose fat you need to eat 500 calories less than you burned in a day. So if your BMR is 1300, that's part of your total calories burnt. Then when you burn 200 cals on the elliptical, that's 1500 total. Then other activities--lifting, situps, or even walking--can burn another 100-200. So that's 1600-1700 burnt in a day. That is a REALLY rough estimate, and like I said, you need to find your own numbers to figure it out correctly. Find out how much you're burning, and THEN determine how much to eat.

And no, you won't get big from eating frequently. You get big from eating too many calories. That is the only thing you get big from, barring medical problems.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Try planning your day ahead of time.
    Enter what you think you going to do when you workout.
    Then it will show you how many calories you need to eat.
    Maybe this will help you plan your meals and snacks.

If you need a guide to calories-look for the post all must have for all. It lists all kinds of food and calories. This really helps me. I will pull it up to the top for you.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Your minimum calorie depends on your height and goal weight or maintenance weight. 1200 is the lowest recommended for all people period but yours might be 1500 or 1700. You need to take into account the level of activity you do everyday. It is called your RMR and you can go to several websites and enter your information and find out how many calories you should be consuming.

RMR= resting metabolic rate

basically the amount of calories you need to consume to do what you do everyday and exercise allows additional calories.
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I found a good link with lots of good info that might help.
    http://www.shapeup.org/ Go through the "Shape UP' and then to Shape up and drop 10 to find the calculator. Give it a read.........
  • dncr8707
    Options
    Thanks everyone!