a question for current and past Weight Watchers members

Options
13»

Replies

• TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers online several times over the years. I only had success with it once. I lost just over 20lbs. I mainly ate Smart One's and other weight watchers meals. I didn't have much luck in other attempts because eventually I got bored counting points, which is a problem I'm having now with counting calories. I didn't feel like WW didn't stress exercise, I always felt it was important since earning activity points allowed you to eat more. I did feel that it didn't encourage me to eat healthier. I never really changed my habits, I just ate less. I know there are a lot of people who say weight loss is as simple as calories in versus calories out and to a degree that is true, but the quality of those calories is still important to your overall health. On WW I ate a lot of junk. Now I want to lose weight and be healthy too so frozen meals high in sodium and snack cakes aren't in my diet anymore
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    My wife was a member of WW, and did well on it, but she was pretty much on her own when it came to exercise. There really is little emphasis on making sure you are losing the RIGHT weight (fat, which means you have to exercise to retain muscle) or pretty much anything but tracking Points(tm) which meant you needed a Points(tm) calculator and a monthly fee.

To be fair, MFP's basic setup is pretty similar, they just use an industry-standard measure (calories) and you don't need fancy calculators or a monthly fee (they make their money from ads instead). It's only when you hit the forums that you start getting fitness advice.
  • gingerCE
    gingerCE Posts: 8
    Options
    I am doing the PP online only and I have not bought any WW products or food, with the exception of their string cheese as it was on sale at my store. I bought my food scale at Target. Doing online only, I don't feel any pressure to buy their products.

As for exercise, I already exercised 4-5 times per week prior to June but I wasn't losing or gaining. My eating habits had gotten really poor--including when I realized one day I had not eaten for a day and a half and was subsisting on coke zero. There would be periods when I didn't eat, then I'd eat a whole container of cashews or a whole box of crackers and a bag of craisins plus dinner etc . . .so for either plan, I like how I am tracking what I eat. I think I eat now more than I used to but am losing so that makes me happy. I did low carb several years ago and was successful but could not stay on track for more than a year before I was cheating on carbs and once I'd start to cheat, I went all in.

Even though I log my food regularly for both, I am following WW. I like knowing I will never go hungry--I can always get fruit or veggies if I get a munchie craving. One day the restaurant I had been planning to eat was closed and the nearest place was 5 guys--and for any other diet (including low carb) and mfp, I would've panicked, but I got a burger and half an order of fries and felt fine--I was still on my diet using up some weekly pts.

That being said, MFP has a way better food database--it is awesome and the original reason I joined as I was frustrated with the food database on WW and I like how MFP is free--which makes me think that once I hit my goal, I plan to stay with MFP long term.
  • doittoitandloseit
    Options
    With the program from WW you can bank the activity points as well as the extra 49 points you get on a weekly basis. Im a little confused on your comment. Are you saying that on The MFP you get extra calorie points or were you talking about WW.