Work out vs Normal burn-calories

Options
I just did an experiment.

I wore my HRM for 45 minutes before working out.
I burned 80 calories.

I then worked out 80-90% HR for 45 minutes
I burned 322 calories

I then wore my HRM for 45 minutes after my workout, doing the same as before. A mix if sitting and typing (:blushing: ) walking around the house.
I burned 110..

The conclusion of my very scientific experiment?
You burn more calories post work out than before.
I need to deduct between 80 and 110 calories from my exercise for normal burn, or I will be overeating for the day.

Thoughts and wisdom from the family?:heart:

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I just did an experiment.

I wore my HRM for 45 minutes before working out.
    I burned 80 calories.

I then worked out 80-90% HR for 45 minutes
    I burned 322 calories

I then wore my HRM for 45 minutes after my workout, doing the same as before. A mix if sitting and typing (:blushing: ) walking around the house.
    I burned 110..

The conclusion of my very scientific experiment?
    You burn more calories post work out than before.
    I need to deduct between 80 and 110 calories from my exercise for normal burn, or I will be overeating for the day.

Thoughts and wisdom from the family?:heart:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It takes a little while for your bodily functions to return to normal. An entirely different section of your nervous system has to take over to slow everything back down. Oxygen debt has also been attributed to the post-workout increased metabolic rate, but in physiology that phenomenon really only occurs during exercise so I still look at that with an eyebrow raise and a chin-scratch. :huh:

However, I wouldn't deduct 110 calories, as that is a temporary change that results from exercise. Just take off the 80 since it looks like that's around your hourly normal burn.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Thanks SBS...I actually waited till I saw you on before posting!! You have educated, straight forward responses, which a greatly appreciate!!

:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwe thank you!! :blushing: :blushing: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • lubna
    lubna Posts: 1
    Options
    i am working out 90 mins daily , 5 days a week... i almost burn 400 calories in gym ...and controlling my diet like 1200 calories per day.. in last 15 days due to this routine i lost 4kg means 8lbs..isnt great going....i have to loose 20 more lbs..please give me more tips to flatten my tummy
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    Thats interesting!

I don't subtract my resting calories anymore. I figure everything I am doing is an estimate anyways. I used to do it with my old and much less accurate HRM. I figure my new HRM is super smart and has to be giving me a better estimate on what I am working off. Flawed logic? Maybe! But I still get to eat my 100 cal puddings at night!

I have to say, I read this and was greatful I weigh what I do! I workout for less time and at a lower intensity to burn the same number of calories. I guess that is why we have to get better at working out over time! :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Thats interesting!

I don't subtract my resting calories anymore. I figure everything I am doing is an estimate anyways. I used to do it with my old and much less accurate HRM. I figure my new HRM is super smart and has to be giving me a better estimate on what I am working off. Flawed logic? Maybe! But I still get to eat my 100 cal puddings at night!

I have to say, I read this and was greatful I weigh what I do! I workout for less time and at a lower intensity to burn the same number of calories. I guess that is why we have to get better at working out over time! :flowerforyou:

Yeah, the weight loss comes with a price. At 145 I get 1200 cals a day to eat, and burn much less THEN I only lose 1 pound every 2 weeks. Oh well, I am going in the right direction anyway!!

I feel so much better at this weight....but still dont like what I see in the mirror.