Starvation Mode- How to know you're in it and how to get ou

Options
Every time I post something or complete my diary, people have told me I'm in starvation mode. I've heard the risks of it, and I've seen some changes in myself that might come from it. (My hair thinning, nails cracking, digestive problems, mood swings/depression towards food, etc.) I've read so many articles and they either just tell you what it is or try to scare you with it (even though it truly is scary.) I just want to know how you definitely know you're in it, and how to get out safely. I want to continue a healthy lifestyle with as little problems possible or any more weight problems. Any tips would be great, but please be positive about it. Thanks!

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    You do not eat enough by any stretch of the imagination. Your body is already telling you that.

Without providing it ADEQUATE nutrition it will hold on to everything it can. If you truly want to continue on a healthy lifestyle you need to feed your body.

Please don't take this as anything less than supportive.... consider it permission to EAT MORE :flowerforyou:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    If you're showing signs of starvation mode, and your food diary is completely filled out, then you're in starvation mode. You don't even net 1,000 calories a day. Have you been losing weight? Did the weight loss stop? How is your relationship with food? Do you worry that you may have eating-disorder-like behaviors? I'm not trying to say you have ED, but what I am saying is that eating that little on a daily basis and then not being sure you're starving yourself just seems a little off.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous post, and I'd like to add it appears (according to your ticker) that you are 7 lbs away from your goal weight. once you reach your goal weight you should switch to maintaining your body weight. Try increasing your calorie intake a little bit each day or week. If you are truly struggling with eating more than a certain # of calories, please seek the advice/guidance of a nutrtionist. You can print out your food journal and they can give you ideas/suggestions on how to increase your daily calorie intake in a healthy way.

Good luck!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Oh honey. I don't know how you function on so little. I can't imagine having any energy at all. Your diary to ME looks like the diary of someone with an ED. You will definitely see the scale go up at first because it will be THRILLED to have some fuel finally and it will wonder if you will continue to feed it and store it....at first. But then it WILL go back down, and you can start a healthy life. I eat over 2000 calories some days due to a lot of working out...since I've started doing that I've lost almost 4 inches off my waist. I could maybe seek health from a counselor and get support here too, of course. Good luck on your journey.
  • colbiegirl
    colbiegirl Posts: 138
    Options
    Oh honey. I don't know how you function on so little. I can't imagine having any energy at all. Your diary to ME looks like the diary of someone with an ED. You will definitely see the scale go up at first because it will be THRILLED to have some fuel finally and it will wonder if you will continue to feed it and store it....at first. But then it WILL go back down, and you can start a healthy life. I eat over 2000 calories some days due to a lot of working out...since I've started doing that I've lost almost 4 inches off my waist. I could maybe seek health from a counselor and get support here too, of course. Good luck on your journey.

Thanks for your support. I know its so little, but I don't know how it got like that. I'm filled by what I eat. I don't think I'm quite at eating disorder yet, considering I do treat myself but, I really want to get back on track, and the information you and mostly everyone else has given is helping little by little. Its a big change but I'm willing to try it with support!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more dear. I'm going to say you aren't in starvation mode, you ARE STARVING. You ate 600 calories yesterday and burned 400. That means you body only has 200 calories to live on. That's not healthy. If you can't recognize that, you do need to talk to a counselor. Start adding more. Stop with the diet foods. No more fat-free yogurt. Eat a sandwich for lunch, not sandwich meat on some lettuce. Put cheese on said sandwich. Maybe even some mayonnaise.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    its a myth dear..do some research..not just people say here. its all bro science
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    its a myth dear..do some research..not just people say here. its all bro science

What's a myth?
  • colbiegirl
    colbiegirl Posts: 138
    Options
    You need to eat more dear. I'm going to say you aren't in starvation mode, you ARE STARVING. You ate 600 calories yesterday and burned 400. That means you body only has 200 calories to live on. That's not healthy. If you can't recognize that, you do need to talk to a counselor. Start adding more. Stop with the diet foods. No more fat-free yogurt. Eat a sandwich for lunch, not sandwich meat on some lettuce. Put cheese on said sandwich. Maybe even some mayonnaise.

I have recognized it. That's why I posted this. I cant eat everything full fat and non diet though. I was advised to watch my sugar intake along with having a diabetic father at home and a history of diabetes in my family. Like I said above, it's something to work at. I just want some simple suggestions and facts on it. I'm worried, and it's why I'm asking.
  • infamousmk
    Options
    If you are eating whole, natural foods (and not processed junk) you shouldn't have a problem with your sugar intake. I agree with Rachel that you really need to be eating full, rounded meals. Can you try to eat four 300 calorie meals a day? It's not difficult to get your calories in if you're eating more often and eating wholesome foods. Peanut butter, lean meat, plenty of veggies, try Fage 2% greek yogurt... a flipping quesadilla if you're feeling saucy...

I have a really unhealthy relationship with food, myself. I overeat and binge. I know how hard it is to eat the right foods in the right amount... stick at it and don't give up.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Thanks for your support. I know its so little, but I don't know how it got like that. I'm filled by what I eat. I don't think I'm quite at eating disorder yet, considering I do treat myself but, I really want to get back on track, and the information you and mostly everyone else has given is helping little by little. Its a big change but I'm willing to try it with support!

Everyone has said it - you are already starving. It is not about treating yourself here and there, but treating yourself well with healthy foods all the time. You need some well-rounded meals - colorful veggies, a whole grain like brown rice, a protein like beans. You may be full - I know, I can feel full on 1,000 calories, with my net being 700-800. But that still means my body needs at least 400-500 more calories just to fuel everything. I have been making an effort to eat more, but I choose healthy options. Knowing I am going to exercise, I have been trying to plan small snacks here and there that help meet my caloric and nutritional needs. Since you have been eating so little and feel full, you may need to start small. Add another snack to your day - a healthy one! Start making your breakfast higher in calories. Things like that to help you work towards 1000 calories, and then AT LEAST 1200 calories - and we're talking NET. I also agree that you should try and set up an appointment with a nutritionist or something like that to help you reach a healthy goal. Good luck!
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary, I'd say you do need to eat more...(probably gonna get yelled at for this part) I don't think you should suddenly up your calories to 1200-1500 everyday though...If you've been eating like this for a while, your body has gotten used to it, and when you suddenly start eating twice what you are eating now, you are gonna gain weight...&& that probably freaks you out and would make you stop and go right back to eating how you are now.

So I would suggest either slowing upping your daily calories by just 100-200 more per day for a week or so, then a little more and so on till you get to a "healthier" number, or zig-zagging your calories by eating like 1200 one day and then your normal less calories the next day for a couple weeks to get your body adjusted.

&& If you aren't already, start taking a Multi-vitamin...even at 1200-1500 Cals, most people aren't gonna get all the vitamins they need. It'll help with your hair and nails and stuff.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about sugar, find out from your doctor the sugar limit he recommends. You can keep under that sugar limit even if you eat 1200-1500 calories per day. It seems like you are not eating very often or very much. Try adding one or two items to each meal, plus one more meal per day.

Make your goal be to make your remaining amounts on your food diary zero every day. Find a fun or silly prize that you can award yourself every time you get all zeros in the remaining line. TRUST MFP's CALORIE RECOMMENDATION. Know that the rest of us are following the guidelines and still losing weight.
  • Honey1990
    Options
    well after looking at your diary for today so far, i have a few simple suggestions that may help a little bit. like at lunch eat two tables spoons of peanut butter and put them on bread, you need carbs for your body to stay healthy. i mean dont go over board and get white bread in huge slices even just sarah lee 45 calorie bread will help you see that its ok to eat more. and start drinking 2 percent milk its got fat in it but its a good fat for your body to have. i did what you are doing now a couple of years ago and ended up with bald spots on my head and eventually gained back the 30 pounds that i had lost and added an extra 20. you main gain a little at first but its ok to see the scale go up for a while. it may go up every week for a month but it will eventually go back down. i am now eating healthy and have lost 18 pounds since april it comes off slower the right way but it also stays off when you do it the right way.
  • infamousmk
    Options
    Where's that article about the doctor speaking of an overweight woman that starves herself? You guys know what I'm talking about? She's over weight because of her body's slow metabolism, and has to gain wait before she can start losing?

That would be appropriate here, but I don't even know where to begin searching for it.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Where's that article about the doctor speaking of an overweight woman that starves herself? You guys know what I'm talking about? She's over weight because of her body's slow metabolism, and has to gain wait before she can start losing?

That would be appropriate here, but I don't even know where to begin searching for it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Definitely need to eat more. I realized this when I was only getting my net calories to 1200, sometimes 1000. I am 5’10” and 190 lbs, so this, I realize looking back, was way too low for me. You don’t have to eat 1,000 more calories right now, but start by increasing by a couple hundred each day and see how it goes.

One thing I can recommend is to start adding small snacks throughout the day—things that are higher in calories but may not make you feel too full. Avocados really are a great food—good calories and fats. Nuts and seeds are also higher in calories but definitely good for you. Pita bread and hummus is one of my favorite snacks as well. Instead of thinking of fruits as my meals, they became my snacks, so I can focus on more filling meals that include whole grains, protein, and vegetables.

Your body is smart—if you start feeding it more, it will start to understand the times it needs to release the hormones that tell you that you are hungry. Evolution was wonderful to us in this way—if we starve ourselves, our bodies will protect us by storing anything it can get and not release those hormones. The more you eat and the more often you start eating, the more you will start to feel hungry during those times again. I would have never believed that I would feel hungry every 2 hours, but I do.

As for diabetes, most of those with Type II diabetes have it because of diet and lifestyle, not because of genetics. Children of parents with diabetes are usually more likely to have it because they are taught the same bad diet and lifestyle and habits. I obviously don’t know your family’s medical history or lifestyle, but if you’re going to the doctor regularly, I wouldn’t worry about it that much.
  • ReginasHorror
    ReginasHorror Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It's a little scary reading your diary. Maybe you should try to increase exercise and food intake, so that way you're still loosing weight but you aren't hurting your body. :(<3
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

I have recognized it. That's why I posted this. I cant eat everything full fat and non diet though. I was advised to watch my sugar intake along with having a diabetic father at home and a history of diabetes in my family. Like I said above, it's something to work at. I just want some simple suggestions and facts on it. I'm worried, and it's why I'm asking.

I can relate about having diabetic family members, my mom's family also has a history of diabetes. Print out your food journal, write down your questions/concerns and speak to your dr & nutritionist about your concerns and what you are currently eating.

Keep in mind that in my situation my family members have been diagnosed w/ diabetes due to poor eating/no exercise/etc...but my dr has told me as long as I keep my weight in the "healthy" range and I'm not eating only ice cream all day long and i'm exercising regularly (and keeping my annual dr visits), I can avoid the healthy problems my other relatives suffer from.

In any event, there are plenty of options regarding meal ideas, etc.... feel free to add me if you'd like to review my food journal to get an idea of what types of food I eat on a regular basis.

Good luck to you!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    *hugs* My stomach actually growled looking at your diary. :frown:

Be sure to check labels. Sometimes the difference between fat free or low fat and the non-diet version aren't much different. At this stage, I'm more worried about you being malnourished than going over your sugar, and I'm sure your doctor would agree.

My parents were both diabetic, too. I understand the concern.