Not losing fat

Options
I signed up for MFP about a month and a half ago and I am not losing any fat! I run 5 miles almost everyday and burn 650 calories. Also, I weight train once a week. I try to eat healthfully and I hardly allow myself cheat days (I think I may have had 5 since starting). Am I eating too much fruit sugar? Or am I not eating enough calories once I work out? I'm going on vacation in 2 weeks and I want to be able to sit in my jeans without getting a muffin top ( that's not going to happen). My ultimate goal is to lose 20 pounds by Thanksgiving and I am getting frustrated!

I'm also confused about the calories and such on sedentary days. The only way I don't go over on my settings is if I eat waaaaay below 1200 calories. Somebody please help! Thank you! :)

Replies

• melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    You are supposed to have at least 1200 net calories a day. if you burn 600 calories one day, you have to eat at least 1200+600=1800. If you are eating less than 1200 NET calories, it could slow down your weight loss. It has happened to me way too many times :\
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Just at quick glance, I don't think you are eating enough. If you are working out every single day and doing that much running, you are burning muscle rather than fat.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just quickly skimmed through the last week of your diary and noticed that you don't eat your exercise calories back.

Please read this (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics), which may help you understand how MFP works
  • beaskinnybitch
    Options
    mm you should eat 1200 calories and if you workout you should eat 1500 more or less:) feel free to friend me if you want support
  • alriela
    alriela Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks! So I should be eating way more of my exercise calories.
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You want to make sure you are eating enough... as melibea said, 1200 should be your minimum net. You are already pretty thin, I would bump up the number of days you strength train and maybe work with a personal trainer if you can.

Scott
  • deesjourney2fit
    Options
    Have you taken your measurements? Try tracking your measurements, that will confirm whether you are losing fat or not. And I agree with the eating comments. :O)
  • haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    Options
    Hi
    I think it just takes time. More muscle is building on my legs and I've (according to my bf) lost weight up top (not boobies lol) it varies for different people. Keep at it. It will drop off! I've been doing it for a month nearly. My allowance is 1200 cals per day. I'm almost always under. I get so full. You probs need to eat 1500 cals.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I dont eat my exercise calories back and I lose 1.5 pounds a week *eveyones system is different and you will get many different opinions on eating back calories. Do what works for you :)
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Depending on your height, 120 could be a healthy weight already, so your body isn't going to burn things as fast. Also, yes, it sounds like you're burning muscle. Not a good thing at all. You probably don't have any body fat. So, be safe and good luck.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I dont eat my exercise calories back and I lose 1.5 pounds a week *eveyones system is different and you will get many different opinions on eating back calories. Do what works for you :)

You are a man...you have a bigger window. Women don't.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    This is also a very good article to read to explain a bit about the exercise calories...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/173853-an-objective-look-at-eating-exercise-calories

Also, did you set your goal to 1200 or did you let MFP default to it? If you have an active lifestyle (besides working out) that on it's own may be too few calories not even accounting for the burned calories. Depending on how heavy you are, which judging by your ticker you aren't, you don't really want to create a deficit of much more than 500 a day. Just a thought :)

I sit at a desk most of the day so unfortunately sedentary mostly and I don't have mine set that low and I'm losing weight.
  • alriela
    Options
    I've been meaning to take measurements when I go to my sister's house. I always forget. I really don't think I am losing inches either! Nothing on my body looks any different except the outer thigh muscles. My inner thighs, still chub rub! I'm going to weight myself the end of this week to see if I am losing.
  • alriela
    Options
    I'm 5'1"
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Personal experience here. I started 100 days ago on MFP. I started at 2 lbs lost per wk and that equated to 1310 cals/day. Since then, about every 3-5 wks, I've changed the settings from 2lbs/wk to 1 1/2lbs/wk to 1lbs/wk and currently on 1/2lb/wk. My metabolism is going like crazy and I'm actually losing the same amount of lbs per wk as I always have been. So while you don't have to eat ALL of your exercise cals, you def need to eat more of 'em. I'm shocked every time I get on the scale... but its fun! :)

Edit: and don't worry about the fruit sugar. thats a huge part of my diet and you're running a ton... the fruit sugar will get used while running.
  • alriela
    Options
    This is also a very good article to read to explain a bit about the exercise calories...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/173853-an-objective-look-at-eating-exercise-calories

Also, did you set your goal to 1200 or did you let MFP default to it? If you have an active lifestyle (besides working out) that on it's own may be too few calories not even accounting for the burned calories. Depending on how heavy you are, which judging by your ticker you aren't up there, you don't really want to create a deficit of much more than 500 a day. Just a thought :)

Hmmmm, I think MFP set it to 1200 calories.
  • alriela
    Options
    How tall are you? Depending on your height, 120 could be a healthy weight already, so your body isn't going to burn things as fast. Also, yes, it sounds like you're burning muscle. Not a good thing at all. You probably don't have any body fat. So, be safe and good luck.

5'1". I'm short so I think I can lose a little bit.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, I think MFP set it to 1200 calories.

In that case I would double check your BMR and make sure you keep your deficit around 400-700 daily. I was going by the MFP 1200 default for like a month and lost no weight and then checked my info and raised mine to 1350 and have been losing weight since. But as always, it all depends on the body type and lifestyle. You are quite little to begin with so I'm not sure how much of a difference that would even make.

I do agree with whoever said to strength train more often, strengthening those muscles more will help you burn more fat vs muscle.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

5'1". I'm short so I think I can lose a little bit.

You can definitely get a little more low into the "healthy" BMI zone, but at 120 and 5'1" you're already a healthy BMI, so it's likely going to be tougher to make headway in this range.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I see your sugar is from fruit but its high, 2 servings of fruit is 2 cups per day, that may be the problem?