Can you run when you are sick?

Options
I got a sinus infection/summer cold thing last week. I'm feeling "better", all I have is a runny nose and I'm coughing up gross stuff otherwise I'm all good. Yesterday and today my runs have SUCKED! I made sure to eat and drink enough and the weather has been much more pleasant than what I'm used to so I'm not sure whats up. About 20 minutes into my run I get dizzy. Is it possible I'm still recovering? I'm just freaking out because this is my first ever 5k and my family is showing up to support me and I dont want to have to walk it!

Replies

• LexyDawn
    LexyDawn Posts: 113
    Options
    If the sickness is in your chest, and it sounds like yours is, you shouldn't run.

I think there's some rule about it being ok to exercise if your sickness is from the neck up, but any body aches or chest stuff you should not exercise.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Take it easy until your 5K, if it's soon enough. You'll find that when you are doing the actually 5K, especially with support, you will do better than your regular runs because of the excitement and adrenaline. Maybe slow it down until then so you're not out of the whole race when it comes because you over did it and didn't get healed all the way!
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When I was in the Navy I developed pneumonia. I still ran (5-6 miles 3-4 times a week...). They gave me an asthma inhaler and said I could stop only if I passed out.

I don't think I suffered any long term effects but listen to what your body is telling you. Getting a little dizzy, I wouldn't worry about too much. Do what you can, rest when you need too. If you need to walk parts of the 5K I'm sure your family will understand.

Scott
  • mdagenb
    mdagenb Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You should always be careful when you are sick and want to exercise. I took a cardiovascular testing class and learned about working out while you are sick can effect every part of your body. Your blood circulates more, and if you have an infection of some sort you can risk it getting into your bloodstream and effecting vital organs....

However, if you are just getting over your sickness, id probably still run :-) I dont always follow the rules. Just make sure you drink plenty of water and keep up your protien intake, get lots of protien and consider gatorade or soemthing with electrolytes, that may help with the dizziness. I agree with the "snot rocket, hack, cough" it all out idea. Sometimes i feel it helps clear it all up for me :-)
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have run while still recovering from a full-on cold with chest congestion. It wasn't fun or comfortable, but I truly believe that it helped open up my lungs and get the congestion out! I felt tons better afterward. If you are dizzy, then just be very careful. I think it's fine to run when you are sick, but just understand that it might prolong your recovery to overdo it. You probably aren't getting as much oxygen in your body with the sinus problems (I'm struggling with this right now, too) but it won't hurt you. If you start feeling worse, however, maybe a few days to rest would be in order. Just listen to your body.
  • gbbhey
    gbbhey Posts: 188
    Options
    been having the same issues! i started running again monday, and i got exhausted/out of breath about 15 minutes in (well, more so than usual). The way I look at it, my body knows when its really time to stop, so I'll listen to my instincts. just don't be an idiot.

one of my favorite quotes ever:
    'there's a thin line between hard-*kitten* and dumb-*kitten*..." - Eric L. Haney

Just remember, if you go out and hurt yourself even further, than what is that gonna do to your training? take it easy, friend!

Cheers,
    Jared
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Can you exercise? Sure, you've proved that already by doing it. SHOULD you exercise is a totally different question that only you and a doctor can answer. I will say this though, I am prone to bronchittis and from personal experience running when sick SUCKS!!! I would take it a little easier and not worry too much about your time, staying fit MAY help to loosen things up but it could potentially do some serious damage if your nasal infection has become a lung infection too. Best bet: go see a doctor.