Shepherd's Pie

Options
BifDiehl
BifDiehl Posts: 474
This is my first recipe to share, but since it's soooo yummy I had to let you guys know about it. I started making it in February when I needed to eat something that would "stick to my ribs". Pure comfort food without the calories! I'll list the veggies that i like to add - feel free to change out the veggies to suit you! And it's sooo easy - the only real prep work you have to do is chopping the onion. Everything else you just dump in the pot.

1 lb ground turkey
1/2C onion chopped
garlic
basil
oregano
onion powder
garlic powder
salt & pepper
6 wedges of laughing cow
1 bag of frozen broccoli, cauliflower & carrot mix
1 bag of frozen summer squash & zucchini
half a bag of frozen asparagus cuts
partial bag of frozen broccoli
Idahoan Buttery Homestyle Instant Mashed Potatoes (or whatever flavor pouch you choose - all pretty much the same calories)

Preheat oven to 350.
Put onion, ground turkey, garlic & spices into a decent sized pot and cook until turkey's done and onions are soft.
Meanwhile, since I'm usually running around like a nut to get dinner ready, I dump veggies into a big bowl and start microwaving them to start getting them soft.
When the turkey's done, put the 6 wedges of laughing cow in the pot and dump in your softened and kind of warm veggies in, too. Stir everything up and let the cheese melt. Stir some more until everything's covered and cheesey and warm.
Make your instant potatoes according to the package. (these potatoes were surprisingly good - I don't like to cook and these were a great time saver for me).
Transfer the turkey & veggie mixture into a 2.5qt casserole dish and then spread the mashed potatoes on top.
Put it in the oven uncovered for about 20-30 minutes.

One serving for me is 1/6 of the casserole dish, which is a pretty big portion. I have it in the oven right now and when it comes out I'll put 1/6 of it into a meauring cup to see how much it comes out to and report back to you.

Per serving:
Calories: 269
Carbs: 24
Fat: 9
Protein: 21
Sodium: 596
Fiber: 4

Replies

• raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy!
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    shepherds pie is the BEST, isn't it??!!?!?! I LOVE IT!!!

I think next time, I'm going to use cauliflower mash instead of potatoes for my topper.
  • BifDiehl
    Options
    I keep wanting to try the cauliflower mash but I haven't done it yet. That would definitely bring down both calories and sodium!
  • mstarrett01
    mstarrett01 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Nummy. I'll have to try this.
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    BUMP!! :D Yum!
  • reidhome
    reidhome Posts: 26
    Options
    OMG.... I LOVE Shepherd's Pie, and haven't made it in a while... Now I'm HUNGRY!!
    I don't put cheese in mine (but love your idea on that!), and I just cook the lean ground turkey with garlic and onion, put that in the bottom of a casserole dish, dump in frozen veggies (still frozen), then put the (made) mashed potatoes on top. SOOOO GOOOOD!! Thanks for sharing!
  • shellybsn
    shellybsn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yum!!! Bump!
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    yummy
  • kerrylou150
    Options
    Shepherd's pie is one of my favorite comfort foods...

My version is so so so so so so bad that I have given it up.

I am going to try this :-)
  • chrissypops
    chrissypops Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    oh sounds yummy! xx
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Shepherd's pie is one of my favorite comfort foods...

My version is so so so so so so bad that I have given it up.

I am going to try this :-)

LOL!! Mine too!!! Years ago, I was putting in cream of mushroom soup sometimes, or on a rare occasion, a can of gravy.... bad bad bad Kelly.... LOL
  • BifDiehl
    Options
    Okay - just measured and 1/6th is about 1.5 cups.

The original recipe I tweaked called for 2 cups of cheddar! The laughing cow makes it really good - I just polished off my dinner and it was GOOD!