Losing a pound a week just by doing jump jacks?

Options
2»

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Exercise does not burn calories at the same rate for everyone, so your premise is somewhat flawed.

And don't expect it to work without counting calories.

It's very simple: figure out how many calories you need to maintain your weight. To lose one pound a week, create a deficit of 500 calories per day. That can be done by eating less, exercising more, or a combination.
  • Rennae9
    Rennae9 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Well...I am sure it is possible. But it sounds extremely boring to me. I would find other exercises to incorporate in with all those jumping jacks.
  • GetFitNowKrystal
    GetFitNowKrystal Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would hate keeping track.lol. I do jumping jacks daily, but add in other things also.
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I could not possible do 1000 JJ a day and be able to walk the next day... nor would I want to, how boring and tireding.. but I can see where you could lose weight doing it, since it gets your heart rate up, it's basically a cardio option.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I burn 15 calories doing 2 minutes of JJs per my HRM. Not sure exactly how many I am doing, maybe 140? It is not was big a burn as I would have thought, especially for how hard they are to maintain. Don't know if this helps.
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    completely agree dont get into ridiculous notions about this will burn this just excercise have fun & keep doing it
  • adriadawn19
    adriadawn19 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You would have killer calves by the end of it. I struggle just doing the 30 seconds worth on 30DS... I don't know how I'd get through 1000!!!!

I was thinking the same thing!
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think that the results would vary for everyone... For example: in the beginning of my weight loss journey (around 242 lbs) I started adding jumping jacks in daily because I noticed how quickly they spiked my heart rate.... Where now 70 plus pounds down my body is getting used to them... Where I can do 100 and still not have a huge spike on my heart rate monitor.. I still do them... but have to rely on other body weight exercises to spike my heart rate... burpees, mountain climbers, etc. OR I will do a large amount at a time. I've done 1000 in a day before, but in my case I did 900 of them practically back to back which was painful. So if I did that again I would have to break it up better. I actually LOVE Jumping Jacks (did 500 today), but wouldn't do that exercise alone to lose the weight.
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I noticed that, unless you are using another method to track your calories, you haven't been tracking your calories on MFP since April. The point is, a person could burn as many calories as they want doing jumping jacks but if they are still eating too much they may not be in a calorie deficit and they will still not lose weight and may even gain.

Weight loss is 80 to 90 percent diet and 10 to 20 percent exercise. That is one of the reasons we often see so many fit but overweight people at the gym month after month, year after year and still not losing any weight.

ETA, just noticed you don't need to lose any weight anyway so what I said doesn't apply to you.
  • BrandiKathryn88
    Options
    i am testing this out right now...using my heart rate monitor i have done 300 so far and only burned 30 calories...10 calories per set...i'd say it is't true...i was hoping :( going to keep going though...its better than nothing!!
  • victoriarose143
    Options
    Actually I do about a thousand a day compind with some other things and i walk fine. However I'm a dancer and a songleader so I have to keep in really good shape
  • evahhhh
    evahhhh Posts: 1
    Options
    I was wondering if jumping jacks could help me lose weight, and I found this website really infomative:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/214171-jumping-jacks-to-lose-weight/
  • svandever101585
    svandever101585 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I read on the live strong page that Jumping jacks are considered low impact cardio. They broke down the calories to say that if you are doing jumping jackks at a rate of 2 per sec (which seems REALLY fast to me. I would think 1 a sec is normal but thats just me.) That in a 200 lb person you will burn almost 4 calories per jumping jack and about 2.5 calories for a 130 lb person. http://www.livestrong.com/article/312289-burned-calories-per-jumping-jack/ Not sure this is very accurate though because I say another article on livestrong that said on average you burn 10 calories a minute doing jumping jacks so that would be around 1 calorie for 6 jumping jacks. I think it is one of hose things that it depends on the person, size, and intensity. I say it doesn't hurt to test it out though. With all the jumping and the use of so many muscles you will burn just not sure how much.
  • Jimmyh234
    Jimmyh234 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I actually tried doing this, I started in March and I was 190lbs 6'1. Doing 1000 jump jack a day, and eating whatever the hell I wanted still brought me down to a 170 and along with other work outs gained a decent amount of muscle. I'm tall, and I think that I will just build off of what I have so I don't look like an anorexic giant. But in conclusion, this actually works I wish I did a before and after picture because the results were ridiculous. I was extremely skeptical at first about doing this, but it worked, and it was very easy. I did 150 when I felt like it, throughout my day, when I had to work, I would do 250 after work throughout my night before sleeping and waking up early. It's not going to just happen over night, set you're mind to it, and just keep going no matter what. Find somthing that motivates you, my motivation was being able to fit into all my nice clothing ???? it worked :)
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Sounds reasonable to me! It sounds similar to jumping rope for a workout.

^^This. That's what I do...and the cadence is about twice or three times as fast. I love jumping rope, and the plus side, I don't have to work calves in the gym. Mine are massive!
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Adrian Bryant's website (nowloss I think) has some good jumping jack workouts if anyone wants to mix it up