Coke addiction ~ VENT!!

By Coke I mean soft drink. I used to have no problem at ALL with it. I could say no. I couldn't even finish a can of it. It was way too syrupy.

My husband's office shut down last summer and now he works from home. HE is addicted to Coke. He doesn't have a weight issue, either. Here's the deal. It is here. ALL. THE. TIME. And now I am seeing me drinking 1-2 cans a day.

How does one get it out of their house when the spouse just doesn't want to give it up?

I am thinking about putting it upstairs IN his office. Let him rot away his teeth...I am sick of it hurting my journal! Yes, it is easy for some people to say no. It is easy to avoid it when it isn't here. But when it is ice cold in the fridge, I have a super hard time :(

Please tell me I am not alone??

Replies

• i know what you mean loads of things can be so addicicting
    try to reason with him! and limit the intake for both of you :)
  • dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    What if you have him buy it and store it somewhere where you won't see it? Then it won't tempt you so often.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    You are absolutely not alone! I agree that you should put it in an area that only he uses. But he should probably cut back on his intake as well. At the house I share with my boyfriend and his family (he has 3 younger siblings), there is ALWAYS soda. It takes a lot of self-control. My boyfriend and I are on a "break" and I'm living at my father's, trying to lose weight while I'm here. There's no soda (my father has an allergy to caffeine) and it's easy to avoid the soda that IS here because there's so much milk, juice and water!
  • GladImTall
    GladImTall Posts: 65 Member
    Brush your teeth before drinking a can... That should stop it... :) Coke is like Orange Juice for me- but after I brush my teeth- it tastes awful!
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Before my fiance's schedule changed, he used to wait to eat dinner with me when I got off work. Since I work late, we would usually just pick something up. I had to tell him if he wants fast food, he's going to have to eat before I get off work because it's easy to resist until I smell it! You've got to set some boundaries with him and he should respect you enough to comply. And if you feel like he's not being super conscientious about it, just keep telling him because to him, he's not going to see it as a red flag the way you do. Just remember he's not doing anything to sabotage what you're doing. He's trying to get used to your new habits as well. Good luck!
  • Angelgrl86
    Angelgrl86 Posts: 74 Member
    No, You aren't alone.. for me, it was Pepsi. It was the only thing my grandmother would drink and my mother kept it stocked in the house. I was constantly drinking one or two or more a day.
    My grandmother passed in the end of December, and what Pepsi was left was gone by the end of January.
    In June, my mom picked up a 12-pack for a party. I drank one. Couldn't stand the taste anymore. Haven't had any since. It's water and the very rare Sierra Mist or Sprite for me now.
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Even just try keeping the soda in a fridge drawer or someplace where its not staring you in the face.
    You could try Diet too but that's just as addictive :$ (I know because I'm just quitting it too)
    Or the step down method and switch to a different soda like sprite, no caffeine or sugar, but still that wonderful carbonation.
  • imprimez
    imprimez Posts: 36
    Buy separate diet Coke for yourself. That way when you crave soda you can have one without having to feel guilty.

Or just conjure up more willpower.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Buy separate diet Coke for yourself. That way when you crave soda you can have one without having to feel guilty.

Or just conjure up more willpower.

^^This!!
  • jcannon15
    jcannon15 Posts: 148
    omg my bf is the same way i never drank regular soda until we moved in together now that its around me all the time i catch myself having can here and there way to many extra calories, he started buying me coke zero...not ideal i'd like to kick the stuff but its a step down. :)
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    I do like Coke Zero. Ok, I will give that a go. Thanks for letting me vent! And glad to know I am not alone!! He quit Coke a few years back for over a year...but he drinks SO much. When he comes down from work, he brings 3-4 empty cans and glasses. I think I am going to make him put it up in his office. He comes down for ice and then he can drink that up there. We keep it in the drawer in the fridge and icy cold Coke is just too tempting for me!!