Any Vegetarians/Vegans here?

Options

Replies

• GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian : 3.
    Would never want to be a vegan though, love me some eggs, and fish...And cheese.
    But for some reason I don't drink cow milk even though I'll eat stuff it's cookd it...O >O
  • yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Would never want to be a vegan though, love me some eggs, and fish...And cheese.
    But for some reason I don't drink cow milk even though I'll eat stuff it's cookd it...O >O

if you eat fish you are NOT vegetarian... just saying.
    this gets under my skin, because when pescatarians say they are vegetarian, restaurants and other cooks get the idea that it is OK to put fish, fish products etc in vegetarian food, and its not ok......
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Love lovee lovee love my vegan life. Love meeting other veggies too!!!!!
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    Vegetarian here, feel free to add me :-) It's nice to get ideas from my friends diary's and I love all the support I have...
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    veggie here :) wanting to be vegan...
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Since this is a group of veg heads here I was wondering if anyone knew a good vegan protein powder? They all seem to have dairy in them or are super gross..
  • SBC74
    SBC74 Posts: 1
    Options
    Vegan! I'm glad to see other Vegan/Vegetarians here.

@KevDaniel: I like the pure hemp protein powders. http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Protein-Fiber-Powder/dp/B0012C2GFM/ref=sr_1_2?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1313115223&sr=1-2
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

this gets under my skin, because when pescatarians say they are vegetarian, restaurants and other cooks get the idea that it is OK to put fish, fish products etc in vegetarian food, and its not ok......

It's the people who say they are vegetarian then eat chicken or fish that means it is hard for us proper vegetarians when we are out. I often go on holiday to foreign countries and ask what is vegetrian at the buffets, theybstart showing me fish which is obviously no good.

I would like to be vegan but love chocolate too much and have a lot of whey protein
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options

To most un-educated people, where they are concerned, I am a vegetarian.
    Not to mention, most people wouldn't even know what a Pescatarian is, hence the reason why I just say vegetarian to make it easier on them and myself for not having to explain it all.
    I don't make it hard on you guys, as being specific when out eating is always going to be needed no matter who someone says they are or what they et : /.
    You kind of comment gets under my skin too :/.
  • martielou
    martielou Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Since this is a group of veg heads here I was wondering if anyone knew a good vegan protein powder? They all seem to have dairy in them or are super gross..

You might try Vega products - they make great vegan supplements for athletes & I think they have a protein powder!
  • Serrtana
    Serrtana Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Veghead: 15
    Great seeing this blog! Love to be a part of it.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Vegan here, started 3 weeks ago and never even tried to be a veggie before, it's so easy.

I however haven't noticed a single difference in being a veggie, no additional glow, extra BM's or any other BS feel-good stuff I read about.

Sure its good to minimize cruelty to animals and reduce environmental destruction since every little bit helps but honestly, I'm pretty po'd that there hasn’t been any changes for ME. Weight loss is only due to counting calories, nothing to do with removing meat, dairy, eggs, gluten, honey...
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options

how can you be a 300 lbs vegetarian or vegan... I am confused.?
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    not vegan. almost vegetarian. eat fish and birds. very few.. only organic/wild. was vegetarian most of my life but in an unhealthy way. :(

mostly vegan now...as much as possible. very fanatical about how/where my food was grown. sometimes need proteins and resort to birds....

for sure don't consider cows/pigs to be a food group. Is there a name for that?
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    HEMP! it's awesome. i use the nutiva brand, but there's quite a few brands out there nowadays. trader joes makes a really good chocolate and a vanilla spice hemp protein powder, if you don't mind a little added sugar.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options

lol. bread. starches. sugar. cheese... I know a LOT of 300 lb women who swear they are veggie....
  • portexploit
    Options
    I am transitioning in to a alkalarian diet. I was doing a low carb high protein diet. I would usually consume under 10grams of carbs. I don't believe in "Jumping in to things". So tomorrow i might eat meat, or something no big deal, then work on the alkalarian diet. My goal is to be alkalarian most days of the week, then most weeks out of a month etc... just build my way to this diet. I have gone 3 days straight and feel good, gong to do it again tomorrow.

I am doing alkalarian for the health benefits. I know a few vegetarians who eat a lot of crap. Alkalizing diet is about keeping your blood in the proper pH balance. Most illnesses from athlete's foot to cancer are acid related. When a acidic enviorment is to high in the body cell growth and repair ceases. You can be very acidic on a vegetarian diet, even vegan diet.

The diet consist of, mostly green vegetables, no meat, dairy, pasta's, breads... fruits. I personally don't eat grains or seeds either.
  • portexploit
    Options

lol. bread. starches. sugar. cheese... I know a LOT of 300 lb women who swear they are veggie....

I guess she was was a vegetarian/vegan for ecological reasons.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 3 years and I research vegan diet and did some sould searching etc. I have a different attitude about food now so I restarted eating meat but I don't believe in the excess we DO eat in US. I believe F & V and whole grains are the best and should be predominant of diet. So I call myself a flexitarian. To me what I find key is to respect others for their choices. Vegetarian Times had an excellent article on it this past winter 2010.
    My brother started gardening 3 to 5 years ago and the taste and freshness of the veggies is amazing!
  • rachelleh09
    Options
    i'm vegetarian! I have gone on and off being somewhat vegan, but I try and eat minimal dairy. I find i only really eat some yogurt and the odd time a tiny bit of cheese. I stick to almond milk though if I drink it. I found as you have that I feel SO MUCH better and healthier as well! if you ever need good recipes or books about it let me know :) i've been vegetarian for almost four years now