Tummy Tuck anyone?

Options
I am considering having a tummy tuck for my birthday this year. I have gone from 140/150 range to the 210/230 range with each of my 4 pregnancies. I have a lot of extra skin around my middle. It might be TMI but I can stretch the skin nearly 6 inches out from my stomach. NOT SEXY. lol It shows in alot of the clothes I wear. Every outfit has to be planned around control top pantyhose. I am just scared of such major surgery. A flat stomach would be great, but I have four very small kids....

Has anyone gone through with it? or know someone who has? were the results worth it?

Replies

• crazybigchick
    Options
    I am considering having a tummy tuck for my birthday this year. I have gone from 140/150 range to the 210/230 range with each of my 4 pregnancies. I have a lot of extra skin around my middle. It might be TMI but I can stretch the skin nearly 6 inches out from my stomach. NOT SEXY. lol It shows in alot of the clothes I wear. Every outfit has to be planned around control top pantyhose. I am just scared of such major surgery. A flat stomach would be great, but I have four very small kids....

Has anyone gone through with it? or know someone who has? were the results worth it?
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My mom had one. She didnt do it in accordance with diet/exercise, so she just got fat in different places post surgery.
    Part of me says no, stay natural. Part of me says do it! I think I would if I had the chance. My trainer lost 85 lbs, and I'm pretty sure she had one.
  • ladyhawk
    ladyhawk Posts: 101
    Options
    i had one done several years ago and it was worth it. My stomach is still flat and when I work out you see a semi washboard abd. See your doctor to get a thorough assessment and discuss the risk factors and the healing process. Then, you can make an educated decision
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    for me, no. I am 47 married for 25 years and only have an inch or so of loose tummy.

Now as for the ol' tatas.....:laugh: :laugh:
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    My mom had one following gastric bypass surgery. They only did her lower abdomen... not sure what they call type.

I was her helper during her recovery and let me just say... seriously consider the recovery time and the pain before you do it. She had a rough recovery that was complicated by other medical conditions. I tend to think she is a pretty tough chick and it wasn't easy for her at all.

Talk to your doctor, but definitely make sure to consider how the recovery process goes. I'm not sure if they do it the same way for everyone, but my guess is there are different methods. Do your homework before you go to far thinking about.

Sorry for the less than positive report, but hope it helps. She definitely did end up find in the end and had less skin than she did before!
    :flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I will probably have to have one by the time it's over. I will have lost--by the time I reach goal--140 pounds, or 1/2 my body weight. My lower stomach area will definitely have loose skin by then. DH is already asking me when I want to start looking into one. I'm going to talk to me doc in January when next I go back and see about possibility of having it declared medically necessary and getting my insurance to cover it--otherwise, I won't be able to afford one.

Oh yeah, there's a woman who hasn't posted in a long time who had one and put up pics. Let me see if I can find her post.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Found it!

They're in her profile pics--

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/photos/view/63224
  • crazybigchick
    Options
    It would be great to see someones real pictures and not what a doc presents as before and after photos. I just tallied it up and by the time I reach my goal weight I will have gained over 260 pounds and lost over 270 pounds. That's a lot of pancakes and spin classes lol

ETA: Her pics look great! That is very close to how my tummy looks. Kinda like I am melting. Thanks so much for the link.
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    Make sure you find a 'Board certified" doctor in plastic surgery. A lot of them do plastic surgery, but aren't 'board certified in plastic surgery', so just make sure you find one that is board certified IN plastic surgery. There is a lot of pain. I was told that there would be a minimal amount of pain. That wasn't exactly true. There was a lot more pain than the doctor let me know about and no I'm not a whimp. There was just a lot more pain than I bargained for, which actually I'm glad I didn't know about it because I may not have gone through with it. It's great though! I love it everyday. It was 2 1/2 years ago that I did mine and I love it! Oh, and get references from the doctor. Don't be embarrassed to ask. This is a big deal and a major surgery!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    My dermatologist told me he would do my eyelids for me. I asked if he was a BCPS he said no, but he took a 2 day course on the procedure.

So, he may be awesome at what he does, but he aint practicing on ME!!!:laugh:
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    That's using your head a.w.t.y.

He's crazy if he thinks a 2-day course is enough to cut into someone's eyes. Good job a.w.t.y!

I would like to get my neck done. My DH said nope :noway: There was to much pain last time and since it was such a big surgery, he was pretty worried.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    That's using your head a.w.t.y.

He's crazy if he thinks a 2-day course is enough to cut into someone's eyes. Good job a.w.t.y!

I would like to get my neck done. My DH said nope :noway: There was to much pain last time and since it was such a big surgery, he was pretty worried.

Well maybe HE shouldnt have preformed the surgery!! :noway: :laugh:
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Just a dumb guy weighing in on something he knows very little about.

You mentioned that you had young children, make sure you find out about the recovery process and what type of help you will require after the surgery and for how long.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    As long as you know that you are REALLY committed to this lifestyle, and do a ton of research, and are ready for the pain, and have prepared child care and care for yourself, I think it's a good idea. Having a lot of loose skin can be uncomfortable and also pose medical problems--moist, warm areas (like creases) can harbor bacteria and get irritated/infected. So if you're going to be in that position, I think it's a bad idea not to have the excess skin removed. Some people use a tummy tuck as a quick-fix, or just gain weight all over again and re-stretch the skin, rendering a $5000 dollar operation totally useless. I'm really against most plastic surgery because I'm big on 'Be happy with yourself," but in this case the skin can cause medical issues and is a sign of all your hard work, so you deserve to be rid of it.

Just my .02. :flowerforyou:
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents if it makes you happy do it :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!