Something Good Happened

Options
Heather75
Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
I have been running for about 2.5 months. I actually started c25k about 5 weeks ago, but have been doing it in conjunction with my own thing, because of my inability and refusal to follow instructions.

Tonight, I decided to go for a run/walk. My plan was to run for 10 minutes walk for 5 minutes, run for 8 minutes, walk for 5 minutes and run for another 8. Then I would just do short intervals until I finished the trail I walk/run on.

After 10 minutes, I still felt really good, so I kept going. And going. And going. For the first time in 30 years, I ran 5 km without stopping. Then, I walked for 1km, re-hydrated and just to be a wise-assed punk, ran for another kilometer to the end of the trail.

I was slow, and might be crippled tomorrow, but I did it.

I know that for some of you, this isn't much, but for others, it might seem impossible. To those people, I want you to remember that if I can do it, so can you.

I'm pretty happy. :)

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    That is amazing!
  • CavewomanCoby
    CavewomanCoby Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    YES! An amazing NSV! Well done girl I'm very proud of you! xox
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

I'm struggling with just doing 3 minutes more than twice. I know it will get easier...
  • JAbayowa
    Options
    Wonderful!
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Good job! I'm on the 10 on 5 off plan myself. Hopefully soon I'll be able to do that soon.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    im so mother effin excited for you :D oh, and i love you too
  • alisonwww
    alisonwww Posts: 104
    Options
    So great! I'm trying to get up the nerve to start. I've always had a love/hate relationship with running. Thanks for the encouragement!!!
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    I'm impressed as hell Heather !! I think this is great, I can't run very long so yes, very impressive !!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Whoa! That's awesome!!
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    Take A Bow!! Good Job!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    You are amazing! I have chills from reading this.
    Congratulations!
  • Justcallmejenny
    Options
    I'm going to try your first part run for 10 walk for 5 etc to get started since I'm no runner. Good for you, proud of ya!
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    wow thats great....good work you're in shape now!...I'm trying to get there
  • Mumblelove
    Mumblelove Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yup you are friggn awesome haha geeze I think this is cause for celebration someone buy me something alcoholic!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful!!! I hope that this accomplishment keeps you hungry for more!!
  • PaulaDDN
    PaulaDDN Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thats sooo cool!! Congratulations, sooner that you expectyou will run 25k
  • JCPruitt
    JCPruitt Posts: 53
    Options
    Very impressive.

I walk 5 days a week and play ice hockey. I tried running some on Sunday and it did not go well. I could go for 30 seconds at a time. I only did that 4 times during my walk. The last 2 times I about caused a full on asthma attack--partly due to air conditions. I felt like I was running in pea soup it was so thick.

I am thinking about trying to start a C25K again, but have hesitated. Last time I tried, day 3 landed me at an orthopedic surgeons office and on crutches and in PT. Bad memories. Perhaps since I now exercise regularly I will be able to do it.
  • JigglyHuffRunner
    Options
    I love that you 'accidentally' ran 5K without stopping and then topped that off w/ some extra miles.
    Super Way to Go!!!
  • meganrae_42
    meganrae_42 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!
    Im going to have to check out this C25k thing :)
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    WOO! You put my 6 minutes of running in place on my Wii Fit (and then wheezing after- which made my roomie laugh, which made me wheeze-laugh, which made her laugh more cuz she could hear me from the other end of the apartment) to shame! I'm so proud!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!