Crohn's Patients

Options
Hi there, I have Crohn's Disease and know all too well the highs and lows: weight gain, weight loss, general lethargy, appetite changes and medication side effects. I'd love to make some friends on here that live with it too and see how it affects your journey!

Replies

• Schwarzeaugen
    Schwarzeaugen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It can be tough; I have the less severe form, Ulceritive Colitis, but I know the feeling. I'm on more medication than I'd care to admit. Feel free to add me :3
  • Celenasmith
    Options
    I have Crohn's disease and I know all so well what you are talking about. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • scborth
    scborth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've got UC and went undiagnosed for a long time, so I can empathize. I am allergic to most of the common medications for it so I'm looking at possible surgery if my doctor can't find another option. With all the medication I'm on, my blood sugars have also spiked and I had to go on insulin. I just joined MFP a few days ago, and I'm finding that it's so much easier to track what I'm eating by using the food diary and the great database of food they have. I hope you have success, and I would certainly offer support and any help I can...
  • soontobeskinnysara
    soontobeskinnysara Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on Prednisone for the Crohn's which is why I've been hitting the gym so hard lately. The first few weeks I was on it, I gained almost 10lbs! Hate that medicine.
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Fellow Crohn's Patient here! Mine isn't very severe and I told my Dr that I don't want to take any meds unless I absolutely have to. So far so good! The change to my diet and getting exercises in there has helped immensely! It runs in my family so I've seen the affects it can have on people all my life. Wasn't very happy when I found out that I had it, but it is what it is and all I can do is learn to live with it.
  • scborth
    Options
    Me too...it makes me so hungry, and also screws up your blood sugar.
  • soontobeskinnysara
    soontobeskinnysara Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was putting away almost 3000 calories a day, and I was STILL hungry. I know it's just part of the territory, but prednisone is just horrible when you're trying to lose weight!
  • scborth
    Options
    It does some amazing things, and can stop a UC flare-up fast, but the side effects sometimes make you wonder...
  • Schwarzeaugen
    Schwarzeaugen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Interestingly enough, my UC made me nauseous all the time, so I was never really that hungry; I've probably gained more weight controlling it actually.
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Welcome :)

I have a rare auto immune condition and have some very similar issues with weight and medication. Having been on steroids for years I put on 46lbs and now I'm trying to lose them. Although I'm just about off prednisone, my replacement meds knock me out completely making excercise a real challenge and also excercise can trigger an attack and put me back on the evil steroids so it's a bit of a battle. But I do enjoy a good challenge :)

5913237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I was putting away almost 3000 calories a day, and I was STILL hungry. I know it's just part of the territory, but prednisone is just horrible when you're trying to lose weight!

:) it's true isn't it! A nightmare of a drug! When I was on 60mg my appetite was insatiable. I dread to think how many calories I was taking in a day but at a guess I'd say easily about 6500

5913237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Hi there, my husband has had Crohn's since he was 23 (he is 34 now). In 2008 he had major emergency surgery and has been in remission ever since. He has a great team of doctors and has had much success taking fish oil pills each day (the kind that dissolve 'lower' to get to the source and reduce inflammation) and he's also been on the drug Pentasa for many years (really has improved his quality of life).

I would be happy to be your friend on here. :) Send on a request...
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Hey folks. Another Crohn's sufferer here. Diagnosed when I was 21 in 2008. Kind of in remission now, taking Azathioprine but likely to go back on Humira soon.

prednisone is the devil. I was only on it for a few weeks but my FACE and my STOMACH were giant. Urgh.

Happy for adds. Keeping active and healthy with Crohns is tough. The "healthy" food isn't always good for us!
  • swiviol
    swiviol Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey folks. Another Crohn's sufferer here. Diagnosed when I was 21 in 2008. Kind of in remission now, taking Azathioprine but likely to go back on Humira soon.

prednisone is the devil. I was only on it for a few weeks but my FACE and my STOMACH were giant. Urgh.

Happy for adds. Keeping active and healthy with Crohns is tough. The "healthy" food isn't always good for us!

I'm the exact same, actually - diagnoses when 21 (almost 22) in 2008. Wondering if it was stress from college, perhaps.

I take azathioprine as well. And yes, prednisone is awful! Made me gain like 5 pounds.