Report says eating healthy, nutrient-rich foods comes at a p

Options
_gwen
_gwen Posts: 501 Member
Researchers from the University of Washington surveyed 2,001 residents of King County [Greater Seattle] in Washington state about their diet and nutrition.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/2015852675_healthy10.html

Replies

• KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    interesting article. Thanks _gwen.
    Keri
  • Squirkie
    Squirkie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Interesting article. I particularly agree with the section, "consumers need to be educated not just on how to eat better, but to eat smarter".

We need to learn at an early age, HOW different foods affect our bodies and how to research what foods serve what purpose. Nutrition is an important part of our lives that we really don't learn much about until we are faced with having to reverse the ill effects of bad nutrition :(
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'm also concerned, with the economy being what it is, that this is only going to make the national obesity and diabetes problem worse.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I saw this article too and thought about the cost to the people who are on specialized diets. My grocery bill is enormous - nearly $300 a week for 3 of us - because I'm trying to eat healthy and my husband is gluten free and now on a more restrictive diet. My son is a typical teenager and eats all the junk (choosing my battles!), so his food is only about $60 of the $300. Its a sad fact that the processed, nutrient-bare foods are so much less expensive than fresh produce and minimally processed foods...