I need help with my "all or nothing" mind-set!

Options
So, I tend to have an "all-or-nothing" mentality...especially when it comes to food. Like, if go over my daily calorie limit by a little bit, I just think to myself, "well, I might as well just go all out now!" and then eat a ton more calories.
Or, even if I'm still under my calorie limit and I make a bad choice to eat some cookies for snack, my mind-set is just to want to blow the rest of the day and eat junk etc
I experienced it tonight a little bit when I went over my calorie limit for the day. I just wanted to keep eating and eating! I held back by drinking a big glass of water...but I don't always make that choice.

So, any advice on how to "stay calm" and not "blow it" when I make a bad choice or go over my calorie limit a little??

Replies

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Honestly its going to be about training yourself. If you are an "eat one eat the box" kind of person GET THE BOX OUT OF YOUR HOUSE. Dont buy them! Take someone else grocery shopping with you! Until you can learn self control and portion control you need to kick out the things that tempt you! This is coming from someone who learned portion control THEN eating better foods (I still eat "bad foods" in portion and calorie control) Find a way to incorporate a "junk food" snack into your daily caloric intake at this point, then you wont feel deprived but you will have a proper portion that you KNOW wont wreck your day.
  • ShanRaeC
    ShanRaeC Posts: 37
    Options
    You are responding with feelings. Try instead to respond with logic. Your FEELINGS response is "yay! a chance to go all out!". Let that feeling live a little and go ahead and indulge the FEELINGS without taking action. Say to yourself "oooh, that would be sooooo excellent if there was an excuse to eat everything I wanted!" And THEN, let the logic take over. Logic tells you that of course eating more calories than you are allocating for the day is a poor choice, and that if you go even higher, that makes the poor choice even worse. It's all about separating what is feelings and what is logic.

And, BTW, you know you can do it, because you did it tonight! I personally think one of the keys is to let those feelings exist. You have to dig around in the feelings, because that's the only way to figure out why we overeat. Take those feelings out for a test drive, and really see where they go. Feelings are there to tell us stuff about ourselves.

Poke around at the feelings, but let LOGIC tell you what to do.

Good luck!
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    i try to plan my meals and snacks in the morning or the night before, that way its harder to get tempted to eat any extra. If I buy large bags and boxes of things, i also seperate them as soon as i get home into portion sized baggies, its so much easier on yourself that way!
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this same issue for many years. Doing this program has really helped me. I am finding myself choosing not to have things because I can see they don't fit into my allotted calorie range. That doesn't mean I am perfect and I do go over some times but it is different than it used to be for me. For example I really like candy such as gum drops, jube jubes, wine gums......those type of things. When I started to record my calories and saw how few of those I could have.....and how if I had them I didn't have enough calories to eat things that filled me up and left me satisfied. I just felt a something switch........I basically quit eating things like that and the best way to do that is to just not buy them. I don't tend to buy anything I feel I can't control......because if I can't control it I don't want it in my house. Now I have been other places and ended up eating candy and found myself eating too many.

If you are really struggling you could try to eat no flour and no sugar for a period of time........it really helps to quell your appetite and cravings.
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    eat a whole apple or a few celery sticks before your have the cookie or what you want to. it may ward off some hunger/ rage to eat some more. :) think i can have the cookie but i have to eat the apple first. by the time u start eating the apple, u will calm down and realize that bag-o-cookies is not the best decision to meeting your goal. the hunger rage is just craziness. you must be mindful. thats what i try to do.
  • jesscorinne
    Options
    I am the same way! But i have to go over like 200 cals before i say go all out if its under that then i try to burn it off!