Soy Milk, For or Against?

Options
I would love to know what you guys think about soy milk.. I have never been a fan, and have tried it for the first time... I didnt think it tasted too bad. Do you think it contributes to weight loss? Who has it and find benefits other then using normal cows milk? Tell me what you think...

Replies

• kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I thought soy milk was worse for you? Isn't it fattier? My aunty is lactose intolerant and wishes she wasn't?
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking it for 11 years. I like it because it is not milk from a cow that is fed all the antibiotics and GMO corn and then you are getting all of the hormones of a lactating cow on top of it.

I still drink it but less often now thanks to the newer options of readily available almond or coconut milk. I really like both of those. I still drink soy milk too, though.

When I started drinking soy milk instead of milk 11 years ago, it tasted weird for 2 or 3 days and then it seemed normal and cow's milk tasted weird.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I switched to soy milk and yoghurt about a month ago and love it!

Nutritionally, it depends which one you go for, but the unsweetened milk has less fat and sugar than skim milk. It does have a slight chalky taste. The plain yoghurt I find tastes creamier than dairy natural yoghurt.

They both last much longer in the fridge than dairy milk or yoghurt, which is another plus.

I'm eating soy products to help with menopausal symptoms.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I switched to soy milk and yoghurt about a month ago and love it!

Nutritionally, it depends which one you go for, but the unsweetened milk has less fat and sugar than skim milk. It does have a slight chalky taste. The plain yoghurt I find tastes creamier than dairy natural yoghurt.

They both last much longer in the fridge than dairy milk or yoghurt, which is another plus.

I'm eating soy products to help with menopausal symptoms.

Soy hasn't helped me at all with menopause. Hope it is better for you. The only help I've found is Evening Primrose Oil.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Love soy milk. . much higher in protein and lower in sugar. .. Cows milk is loaded with sugar and has antibiotics and growth hormones in there. . blech. . .

I just found that they have flax milk as well. ..and I am drinking that right now. . It is only 50 calories per cup. . . And I also enjoy almond milk. . ..So there are options. . I personally don't drink cows milk, but my daughter does so I buy her certified organic 1%. . . Just my thoughts.
  • azingale
    azingale Posts: 74
    Options
    I'm against, but soy products give me gas and other digestive issues I'm not super keen on. I prefer rice milk or, if I'm feeling indulgent, chocolate hazelnut milk (super in coffee.) Almond milk is pretty good, too.
  • jesienia
    jesienia Posts: 294
    Options
    I pretty much lived off of soy milk and soy products for 3 years. My TOM was much worse, my joints ached, and I had horrible acne. Plus I developed a soy allergy because of it and can't eat anything with it now. That's just me though. I know lots of people who are fine with it. It's according the person.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant and can't take soy (shame, as I love the taste of soy milk), so I drink a lot of almond milk. It is lower in calories than regular milk, but the kind I drink isn't fortified with Calcium/A/D, so I have to be aware of that. I love the nutty flavour, and find it a bit sweeter than soy milk (which has a nutty flavour, too). Cow's milk tastes almost musky to me now in comparison. Back when I was drinking soy (years ago), I adapted very quickly to the taste and texture. Still miss it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan, I just don't see the point of drinking something that has to be manufactured with added oil and sugar and chemicals to be similar in consistency and nutrition to cow's milk.
    I have cows milk a few times a week and that works fine for me - just as it has for humans for thousands of years.
  • ma66ie72
    ma66ie72 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    No soy for me unless it’s fermented like soy sauce. I drink Organic Whole Raw Cow’s milk and I’m lactose intolerant but only if I drink pasteurized/ homogenized milk . Never a problem drinking it raw.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i have soya milk in tea and i love it. Cant drink tea with normal milk. I like it on cereal too

cows milk in coffee though
  • kelseywray
    Options
    I drank soy milk for years. The only reason I stopped is because it has more protein than I'd like to take in. I switched to rice milk and I like it a lot. It tastes more like regular milk
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking soy milk for over a year and never had any bad side effects. I drink organic all natural vanilla soy, taste awesome, 7 grams of protein, less calories and sugar than cow milk. Not to mention less chemicals . i'm also a vegetarian..so I don't really drink much cow milk if I can help it.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Love soy milk! I haven't ever had any issues with it.

But have you tried almond milk? (If you're looking for an alternative to cow's milk). I love the unsweetened vanilla kind! :)
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    I tried soy and while I can't say I didn't like it, it wasn't very good. Kinda tasted like a generic, watered down Yoohoo to me. As far as soy goes, I have a hard time believing that something you can run an 18 wheeler with can actually be good for you.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I love soy milk, but with the history of cancer in my family I do not drink it. It raises your estrogen level, increasing the chances of getting breast cancer.

I just tried almond milk for the first time. I'm really liking it. I got the unsweetened kind, it's only 40 calories a cup and I really like the taste.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am against soy milk, only because it tastes like dirt. :p
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I like soy milk, but try not to have it too much because it increases your estrogen, as others have mentioned. I swap between hemp milk, almond, rice, coconut and soy. Soy has more protein and usually is fortified with calcium and vitamin D. It's harder to find the other milks that are.

Also... Buy organic soy milk if you do! Something like 90% of the soy crop grown in the US has GMO's.