Why don't obese kids get sugar highs? Robert Lustig, MD -

Options
Aurelina
Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
Robert Lustig, MD - The trouble with fructose: a Darwinian perspective

Raw footage of Dr. Lustig's presentation. Given the size of the file, I am leaning to making the rest a smaller file size, as here we are primarily interested with the talk itself and the time-code as a reference.

Replies

• goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I can't see that video here, but from what I understand there is no such thing as a "sugar high" or "sugar rush". There have been countless experiments that show that sugar has no effect whatsoever on behaviour until an external even occurs, like a parent shouting "OMG you'll get hyperactive!" and then kids start behaving weird.
  • sugarbugger
    Options
    I keep reading that sugar doesn't make kids hyper, maybe they can't TEST for it but I think all parents know that it does! Half an hour after a handful of haribo my normal 4 year old turns into a vile little monster who cant sit still or stop talking.
  • aslm
    aslm Posts: 71
    Options
    It's not the sugar, it's the E numbers in all these sugar foods....
  • clarech
    clarech Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It's not the sugar my daughter goes nuts on sugar free squash its the colouring that does it!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I have definitely noticed my children's behaviour changing when they eat sugary food. They don't become naughty but they do have way too much energy. I usually get them doing something active afterwards and then they are fine, but mostly I avoid giving them too much sugar and never sugary foods on their own. If they have sugary foods it's usually after a meal or with their drink of milk, but they don't have them every day. That seems to minimise the damage :)
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    I can't see that video here, but from what I understand there is no such thing as a "sugar high" or "sugar rush". There have been countless experiments that show that sugar has no effect whatsoever on behaviour until an external even occurs, like a parent shouting "OMG you'll get hyperactive!" and then kids start behaving weird.

i agree! :) ive never had a sugar rush!
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    GREAT info.!!!!!!!!!!! TY so much!
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Didn't watch this video, when my sister's kids get sugar (these are organic fed, no tv watching, Waldorf-attending, super athletic little kiddos), the 3 year old will bounce off the walls.

Granted, they could just be super, duper excited to be getting candy. :laugh:
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    ever notice that runners take in pure sugar whilst running for the energy - does sugar make you hyper? NO but it is an easily useable form of energy - kids already are full of energy and the sugar simply is adding energy (the way any food does) it's simplyt that the sugar acts faster than say butter would
    regardnig e numbers, the BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tnd4z) had an interesting program on this - all chemicals (and all food whether organinc, natural whole food or processedjunk food is simply a combination of chemicals - everything is after all - I mean water is a chemicalH2O) are required in Europe to have an E number just because something has an e number does not make it good or bad- you have to know what that E number is

for example E330- is Lemon Juice (citric acid) - is lemon juice going to make you hyperactive? probably not

just something to keep in mind
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I think "E numbers" have nothing to do with the scientology "E-Meter." "E numbers" are used on food lables here in Europe, to show what chemical-compounds are ingredients in food.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Yep I can confirm that they are not called E numbers on US packaging (after all the E stands for European)
    Gary1977 the E numbers are a standardized european food for different checmicals - the European Union has 27 countries and over 20 official languages (22 or 24 languages I think but can't remember and don't feeel like googling now :-) ) thus it is very helpful to have a standardized short form for all the different ingredients
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    my little sister (she's 7) gets MEAN when she has sugar. like, i want to toss you out the window mean! it's crazy.