running in the winter

Options
i just signed up for a fun 12K holiday run. the seattle marathon was going on today and my friend ran his first marathon ever in 4:35! it was amazing and motivating. i've only done 5ks in the past, and though consider myself a runner, not so much on the distance.

so i will follow a plan for training and log my miles and such, but winter months really aggravate my bronchial tubes. anyone with suggestions on how to minimize wheezing? i already have my albuterol, and will breathe into a scarf. open to any tips!

Replies

• vickster82
    Options
    i just signed up for a fun 12K holiday run. the seattle marathon was going on today and my friend ran his first marathon ever in 4:35! it was amazing and motivating. i've only done 5ks in the past, and though consider myself a runner, not so much on the distance.

so i will follow a plan for training and log my miles and such, but winter months really aggravate my bronchial tubes. anyone with suggestions on how to minimize wheezing? i already have my albuterol, and will breathe into a scarf. open to any tips!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It also helps to keep your tongue raised to the roof of your mouth slightly. This will warm the air going in. On your easy runs, take some time to breathe in through your nose. You should be able to do this for a couple minutes while running a slower pace on really long runs.