Losing weight by running?

Options
I have just started running, and I love it! However I am overweight and I haven't really found any other exercise I enjoy. Has anyone managed to lose weight as running as their only exercise? If so, did running get dramtically easier the more weight you lost?

Replies

• Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Running is by far THE BEST and most productive way to lose weight and sheer fat. Trust me when I tell you this because for the last 4 months that is all I have done and I have lost a little over 67lbs so far. I have started adding in strength training now...But I lost a ton of fat and weight just by running.

But I do run alot....almost everyday I run about an hour a day.... which comes out to 6.5miles in that hour that I run... You don't have to push yourself as hard as I do to see results... I was an athlete when I was younger....so I am used to it.... just a fyi. lol

My friend runs a half hour a day everyday and he burned 20 pounds off in a month and a half eating 1600 calories a day. if thats helpful
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! That's amazing!!
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Couch to 5K Program which is a beginners running program! i can honestly say i have NEVER seen a more dramatic difference in Inches lost, stamina, endurance, and the feeling of accomplishment and my NEW LOVE FOR RUNNING/ JOGGING! As for weight loss, right now its still like between 3-6 pounds lost, but its bc my diet is VERY off and on and mainly bc muscle is taking over my trouble areas! my stomach is def different, more flatter, my legs are getting tones and sculpted and my arms are also getting tone and slick looking, plus running outdoors gives me that sun glow. i swear by jogging, i look damn good... i just need to get my diet settled, however, us runners need more cards! so i allow it, haha! Good LUCK!!! add me if you need supporters :-D
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Running isn't my only exercise so I can't comment on that. But it does get a lot easier! When I started I thought I would die when I tried to go 1/4 mile @ 4.5mph. 4 months (and 52lbs) later I am going 3-4 miles at 5-6mph.
  • Estela565
    Options
    Me too I lost over 40 lbs just by running :-) I only rdo running as exercises although I do some push ups sit-ups and some dancing.
    I need to add some strength but my schedule is very hectic. So yes my main exercise is running and I love it!
  • Dinob661
    Options
    Just remember...it will be helpful to lift weights as well down the road... I am actually starting to do that now as well!
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    I've had some success around weight loss with running; I'd got stuck at about 143lbs and running has shifted about 7lbs but now I'm stuck again. But I suspect that's my fondness for gin and tonic, rather than the running!!!

The more you do it though the more you will *probably* find that you enjoy it. One of my colleague (ex personal trainer type) says that runs over 30 minutes tend to be the best for fat busting - and that's only 5k, right??! :smile:
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thankyou, you have all got me so excited! It's so good to find an effective exercise that I really enjoy!
  • Dinob661
    Options
    No problem!