Going over daily calorie allotment

dksnj
dksnj Posts: 3 Member
edited October 1 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,

Yesterday I went over my daily calorie intake by ~250 calories. It was a late dinner and I didn't have time to excercise to try to 'cancel some out'.

Since I'm only two weeks into this, I'm curious what you guys do in this situation. Do you make up for it the next day by eating that many fewer calories, try exercise it off or just chalk it up to one bad day?

Thanks
Dianne

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    I chalk it up. But a lot of people do extra exercise. I would not eat less the next day. You need the nutrition.
  • Dianne,

It happens to everyone. What's done is done. Today is a new day. Just renew your commitment to the plan and start fresh this morning.

And don't beat yourself up over it. That's not productive and just contributes to a defeatist attitude which will not serve you.

Take care and have a great NEW day!!

Becky
  • kalilioness
    kalilioness Posts: 49 Member
    I just did the same thing. I went over by a little over 100 calories and started feeling bad about it but then I thought, a new day is a fresh start and I don't want to get caught up in the catch up game because I never win that game. So, for today, I will watch my intake, drink my water, study yesterday's food diary to see where the extra calories came from and think about what was happening that day and why I ate more. Feel free to be gentle with yourself about it!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Meh, 250 calories isn't much to go over. Just move on as proceed as usual. It will likely have zero effect on your weight loss since it was just one day.
  • needhams
    needhams Posts: 16
    i either walk extra the next few days or cut down by 100 cals a day until gone , dont look at it as a daily intake i look over a week and make up any but rare over runs hope this helps
    regards
    needhams England
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    I tend to compensate the next day with a calorie deficit, either by eating less or exercising , doesn't matter.

The other thing I keep in mind is my maintenance calories. It depends on what you're set to lose per week. If you're trying to lose 1lb per week, then MFP sets your allowance 500 cals under your maintenance amount. I figure 1 day's worth of maintaining is ok every now and then, as long as you're losing overall.

At the end of the day 1 lb of fat = 3500 calories ( Yes, I know, that's not the only thing that counts when trying to lose weight)
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Chalk it up to the day and move on, or try to get in extra exercise that day or the next day. DO NOT eat less the following day to "make up for it". This will not be beneficial in the long run and it will not make up for it.
  • OhSuzzz
    OhSuzzz Posts: 44 Member
    Also remember that if you're weighing yourself once a week or every other week, one day out of that span isn't going to break you. I had the same issue yesterday and realized, there are plenty of days I don't eat back all of my exercise calories, one day isn't what got me this overweight, it's day after day after day. Realizing that life happens and it's going to continue to happen while we're on this journey is what's important.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    I just try to do better the next day.
  • It takes a lot of calories to equal a pound, so don't beat yourself up about a little. As long as you don't say, "Oh well, I went over. Might as well binge..." As long as you continue to be aware of what you're eating, and don't make going over calories a habit, you'll be fine! It's a new day, after all!
  • Rhea81
    Rhea81 Posts: 38 Member
    Don't sweat it too bad! In the beginning it is really hard to pay attention and actually measure portion size. Retraining your brain takes time. 250 over ever once in a while isn't anything to worry about. Just take it as a leason and try to do better tomorrow.
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 4,097 Member
    I want to reach my calorie goal everday or at least get very close. I have been over calories a couple of times, but I don't worry about it. Your net calories may just balance out by the end of the week. Mine did. Never try to eat less than your daily calorie goal.
  • Ken_Roper
    Ken_Roper Posts: 51 Member
    I agree with others that you should simply forget it and move forward. Worrying or stressing over it doesn't help and denying yourself the nutrition you need today isn't healthy. We all slip up from time to time. Sometimes, a "free day" is a good thing to do -- just don't make it a daily habit and all will be good.
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    It takes a lot of calories to equal a pound, so don't beat yourself up about a little. As long as you don't say, "Oh well, I went over. Might as well binge..." As long as you continue to be aware of what you're eating, and don't make going over calories a habit, you'll be fine! It's a new day, after all!

It takes 3500 calories to equal a pound.

Just chalk it up and move on.
  • Janlyn51
    Janlyn51 Posts: 25
    Yes, agree with Becki. We work too hard to beat ourselves up. Start fresh the next day and move on. The fact that we are doing anything is MOST EXCELLANT !!! :)
  • harlylena
    harlylena Posts: 125 Member
    So glad you posted this since I'm new and running into the same situation. While reading yours I imagined it's like stumbling a bit while running a race. You don't stop, go back, start over (or quit)...you keep going. I like everyone's responses and it makes sense. If you can exercise that day fine, if not then start fresh the next day. So I didn't add much for your response; just a quick note to say don't sweat it, your human, and I do it to.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    One day won't hurt you. YOu have to look at calories on a weekly basis, I bet you will be under a day or two by 50-100 calories. And generally, most people I have seen on here undereat anyways.
  • Diosadealimentos
    Diosadealimentos Posts: 10 Member
    Not sure if this is helpful but the way MFP is set up your daily calories allotment is a 500 calorie deficit...which means if you over ate by 150 calories...you have a deficit for the day of 350, instead of 500 but still a calorie deficit .

And, yes the catch up game sucks. Every day truly is a new day and we get a fresh new batch of calories to nourish ourselves with
  • dksnj
    dksnj Posts: 3 Member
    Great - thanks everyone. My initial thought was 'okay, i recognized it, now move on'.

Love this board
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Its important to note as well MFP gives you a deficit, depending on your goals, so eating over your calorie goal isn't necessarily bad unless you got well above and beyond your deficit. I actually tend to go a bit over everyday deliberately because I don't want to go into starvation mode and I would rather be a bit over then under any.
This discussion has been closed.