Net Calorie Dilema!!

Options
My recommended net calories (in order to lose 1.5lbs a week) is 1230. However, if I net 1200 or less, I get a message from MFP that I am not consuming enough calories and my body is going to go into starvation mode. So I basically have a 30 calorie window to be under my goal, but not in starvation mode.

How do other people work around this? Recommendations???

Replies

• emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    Eat back some exercise calories?
  • misjes1
    misjes1 Posts: 18
    Options
    I personally would move my weight loss goal to 1 lbs per week, or perhaps 1/2 lbs per week. Anything over that is a pretty lofty goal and decreases your calorie intake significantly.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Im not sure.. Im fat so I get 1750 calories each day so the only time I was ever getting that message was when I had oral surgery and couldn't eat solids for a week lol. Some people manually change their calories because they either can't lose on that little or they are starving so it really depends on the person. Definitely eat back your exercise calories though because otherwise you will net wayyy too low.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Try exercising then eat back your exercise calories.....MFP recommends that you do this.

Sue xx
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode...man do I hate that term

Look at your weekly net instead of daily, it's more accurate. One day below calories isn't going to lower your metabolism, better to eat a few more calories then fewer though. If you throw in some exercise then it's easier because you can net below 1200 and MFP won't bug you about it as long as you actually consume more than 1200.
  • joi1407
    joi1407 Posts: 79
    Options
    you are supposed to eat back you're exercise calories because MFP puts you an a deficit of 500 anyway, which should lose you the weight.

I have now come to the point where I get to around 500 exercise calories a day, which I do eat. sometimes by just a bigger portion at dinner or some extra chocolate (which is probably not the best option). But i have been losing a pound a week as recommended over the last 4 weeks.
    I think losing 1.5lbs a week is quite a lot...
  • canadasaurus
    canadasaurus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Im not sure.. Im fat so I get 1750 calories each day so the only time I was ever getting that message was when I had oral surgery and couldn't eat solids for a week lol. Some people manually change their calories because they either can't lose on that little or they are starving so it really depends on the person. Definitely eat back your exercise calories though because otherwise you will net wayyy too low.

The whole eating back my exercise calories still gives me the "starvation" message. When my net is below 1200 I get the message, even if I consume 2000 and work off 750!
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    Hmm that's interesting: I've netted below 1200 before and not seen the message.Or it could be i just didnt care enough to read it >.<

Aim to net 1300 one day then 1200 the next? That puts you in the mid range for your goal on a weekly basis.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options

The whole eating back my exercise calories still gives me the "starvation" message. When my net is below 1200 I get the message, even if I consume 2000 and work off 750!

Strange, only gives me the "you may not be eating enough calories" message when I eat fewer than 1200 calories, not when I just net fewer.
  • onehecticmom
    onehecticmom Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Strange, only gives me the "you may not be eating enough calories" message when I eat fewer than 1200 calories, not when I just net fewer.

I am the same. I only get the message if I eat less than 1200 cals, not net less than 1200 cals. My cal goal is 1200, I rarely net 1200 cals after eating back workout cals.
  • canadasaurus
    canadasaurus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm... maybe is was a glitch? I'll have to try again to eat back exercise calories and see what happens.
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    I get this message all the time. I usually don't eat back my exercise calorie (and often don't hit 1200 in a day, let alone the 1470 MFP recommends for me). I am by no means starving. I eat when I'm hungry. Simple as that. Is it really bad to be under the recommended goal?