Two scales, different readings... ???

Options
So I currently have a digital scale at home and a manual scale in the gym...

Digital Scale at Home reads: 73kg (MFP recorded weight)
*this weight haven't changed in about 2 weeks

Manual Scale at Gym ready: 69-70kg
*this was taken last friday and hasn't changed upto today

I reckon that the manual scale is more accurate so I decided to ignore my digital scale. I am now confused whether I have lost weight or whether I was always 69-70kg 2-3 weeks ago.

I've been to the gym and been watching my food intake for only 2 weeks (3-4 times a week and 3-4 hours a day in gym), if I lost weight during that time, I lost about 4kg... Do you guys think that's normal or was I really 69-70kg to begin with?

I recognise some toning differences especially in my legs as I have been doing a lot of cardio but I do not feel lighter and waist, neck and hip measurements haven't gone down either... what do you think?

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    it makes no differance which is right, just always use the same one at the same time wearing roughly the same thing, you will be fine :smile:
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    try to stay consistant with what scale you use. The gym scale is more likely to be off, as there are people jumping on and off it all day, even though it is manual it still needs to be adjusted from time to time.
  • cibolodave
    Options
    that is a very good question. i had the same thing a month or so ago. i finally decided to just go with the manual one even though it isnt as easy to read the numbers
  • mamajess82
    Options
    it makes no differance which is right, just always use the same one at the same time wearing roughly the same thing, you will be fine :smile:

I have the same thing - one day the scales show 139lbs, the next 134lbs. I weigh in the same place, same time - but it's hard to believe there is such a big difference (2.2kg's) between the two weights.

Cibolodave probably has the right idea, but it does matter what the actual weight is to some people...like me. I'm only going to record my weight on MFP every 2 weeks and by doing that I hope I'll get accurate readings.

Good luck (and go with the weight loss - 4kg in 2 weeks is possible - well done)
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I'd trust the scale at the gym. How many people use it a day? When was it last calibrated?

Regardless, pick a scale and use only that one.
  • patriciaachish
    patriciaachish Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice... It's been 2-3 weeks and my reading is still the same, manual scale: 69kg digital scale: 73kg... I decided to use the manual in the gym since it's depressing to look at 73 kg... :((
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Manual scales can be just as off as a digital one. Unless the scale has been calibrated, there is no way to know.

The actual weight is not so important. Pick one scale and use it consistently. Regardless whether it is off a pound or three or not, it should still have a fairly accurate resolution per-pound.

One way to verify a scale is to take a known weight to a calibrated shipping scale, like at your post office, and then set the known weight on another scale and see what it says.

Steve
  • patriciaachish
    patriciaachish Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Atlast, the might scale has MOVED!!! I am now using the manual scale at the gym and from 69kg it moved to 67 and I've been staying at 67 for about 2 weeks now... ^_^ thanks for everybody's help!
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    When I bought a new scale, I "gained" five pounds in two days -- not because I actually did, but because the scales weighed differently.
    Use the same scale, weigh at the same time of day, in roughly the same clothing (or lack thereof :embarassed: )
    Kaye
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I find scales to be frustrating. The same set of scales can produce multiple readings if you get on and off and try again...wth?