Puppy Pictures Prayers needed

Options
Anna_Banana
Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
edited September 2022 in Chit-Chat
puppies059_1.jpg
Here is a picture of two of our Shorkie puppies at 5 weeks old. They are just so sweet. We have the one on the left along with one not pictured sold, and our plan was to keep the one on the right. The one with the black on the face and lighter hair.

Well yesterday we were all sitting around and one of the puppies just started yelping like crazy. So we went in to see what was going on, and we couldn't get it to stop crying. So I ran it to the vet, by then it couldn't stand up.:cry: The vet looked it over and didn't think it had a broken back, but thought that it might have bumped it's head and had a concussion, and swelling at the base of his head was causing his lack of cordnation. He gave him a shot of prednisone and then I gave him some last night and this morning, but he doesn't seem to have improved any. My kids are heart broken because it's the one we are suppose to keep, and if it doesn't get better I don't know what else to do, but put him down.

So all I can think of to do now is pray.:cry:

Replies

• Anna_Banana
    Options
    puppies059_1.jpg
    Here is a picture of two of our Shorkie puppies at 5 weeks old. They are just so sweet. We have the one on the left along with one not pictured sold, and our plan was to keep the one on the right. The one with the black on the face and lighter hair.

Well yesterday we were all sitting around and one of the puppies just started yelping like crazy. So we went in to see what was going on, and we couldn't get it to stop crying. So I ran it to the vet, by then it couldn't stand up.:cry: The vet looked it over and didn't think it had a broken back, but thought that it might have bumped it's head and had a concussion, and swelling at the base of his head was causing his lack of cordnation. He gave him a shot of prednisone and then I gave him some last night and this morning, but he doesn't seem to have improved any. My kids are heart broken because it's the one we are suppose to keep, and if it doesn't get better I don't know what else to do, but put him down.

So all I can think of to do now is pray.:cry:
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhhh my heart goes out to you and my prayers are with you..Those puppies are so adorable..Good luck and keep us up dated...again god bless you , your family and most of all your puppy..JoAnn
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I just said a little prayer for your puppy. Keep us posted as to when he's well.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, I absolutely love dogs and have two pugs of my own and this breaks my heart.
    we will be praying and crossing our fingers and paws for the puppy to get better
    :cry:
  • luvlee884
    luvlee884 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry!! I want a Shorkie too once we move into our new house!
    They are adorable!!!!!!
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    aw beautiful babies! I know its like having one of your kids hurting! I have a 2 pd yorkie, and found him laid out in the yard unresponsive, put him in the car to rush him to the vet, he was better before I got there! So hang in there, I'll keep your baby in my prayers, hopefully you'll see some improvement before the day is up. Keep us posted!
  • GuitarJohn
    GuitarJohn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    We've been though it - more than once I'm afraid.
    We feel your pain.

J&P
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    Thanks guys. The only thing keeping me hopeful is that all of his "functions" seem under control. When he wines, I pick him up and put him on piddle pad and he pees. He does attempt to walk occationally, but he usually ends up falling on to his side and getting stuck.
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    aw beautiful babies! I know its like having one of your kids hurting! I have a 2 pd yorkie, and found him laid out in the yard unresponsive, put him in the car to rush him to the vet, he was better before I got there! So hang in there, I'll keep your baby in my prayers, hopefully you'll see some improvement before the day is up. Keep us posted!

I think what makes this so hard is we use to breed Yorkies, and last year we had a litter out of our 5 pound female and 2 pound male, and we decided to keep one of those pups. He was so loving and friendly and sweet. Well I was working with my horses and the kids let him out of the house and the horses hoof caught him in the head as he ran under the horse and he died. It was just about the same time last year. It's just kind of depressing.
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Oh Anna, i'm so sorry to hear your sad news, I hope your puppy will make good progress, my thoughts are with you, your family and your dear lil pup, I do hope he pulls through :cry:
  • genabug
    Options

I think what makes this so hard is we use to breed Yorkies, and last year we had a litter out of our 5 pound female and 2 pound male, and we decided to keep one of those pups. He was so loving and friendly and sweet. Well I was working with my horses and the kids let him out of the house and the horses hoof caught him in the head as he ran under the horse and he died. It was just about the same time last year. It's just kind of depressing.

Thats so sad! yorkies are so fragile. especially the tiniest ones. but we love them and its worth it, they have such great little personalities. You know, it seems like your pup is gonna be fine, he's trying to move around, and can potty, thats good signs. Just give him extra hugs and kisses today. How is his eating?
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    He's not eating at all. I've been giving him Nutri Cal and water from a syring. Also (I know this sounds weird) I milked mom and gave him that with a syring.
  • michelle0920
    Options
    I had a dog with the same kind of problems - she was dangerously low on calcium (which is why she couldn't walk).

Another thing you might try to get him to take is chicken broth.
  • genabug
    Options
    He's not eating at all. I've been giving him Nutri Cal and water from a syring. Also (I know this sounds weird) I milked mom and gave him that with a syring.

you may can get puppy milk from the vet too, don't know how easy it it to milk mom! But keep trying to get something down, bless his little puppy heart. I will be thinking about him all day!
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Aww no. :frown: I'm so sorry to hear about your little one. But, as someone said, it is a good sign that he can go potty and that he's trying to move around. Keep trying to feed him and give him water. Baby him as much as you can; lovin' helps a lot with sick animals (and people)! I had a very sick little kitty once. I took a day off from work, laid with him on the bed, carried him to the litterbox, had to use a wet and warm cotton pad to make him potty, and I hand-fed and watered him.

I'll pray for you, your family and your little puppy dog! :heart: He looks very sweet.
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    I had a dog with the same kind of problems - she was dangerously low on calcium (which is why she couldn't walk).

Another thing you might try to get him to take is chicken broth.

We've had momma dogs that were hypocalcimic before, this is different. We actually almost lost one because of that. Yorkies are so small that they are really prone to that.
  • Anna_Banana
    Options

you may can get puppy milk from the vet too, don't know how easy it it to milk mom! But keep trying to get something down, bless his little puppy heart. I will be thinking about him all day!

Yeah, I didn't think of that when I was at the vet office, and it's 30 miles away, which with me working today, makes it hard to get there (I want to be at work as much as possible this week in case I do need to take off to take the pup.) Mom wasn't too hard to milk. She's trying to wean them so she pretty engorged, I really barely had to touch her and I had enough to just get something down him.

I will have to run over to the store and see if they have any salt free chicken broth (small town and they don't carry a lot of stuff). I never thought about that.

The Nutri Cal I'm giving him should actually be enough, but it just doesn't seem like a lot.
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Hope the best for you and the puppy!
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    Pup went with me to lunch and actually perked up when he smelled my food. So I shared a little with him. And he actually ate with out me forcing it down his mouth.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Anna I am glad your pup is doing better. I can't believe how fast they become a member of our families.
    I pray he is OK with no residual brain issues.
    0002032B.gif
This discussion has been closed.