8 yr old son intrigued ... wants to join MFP. Opinions??

Options
My husband and I are both loving MFP and sometimes chat about our calories remaining or scan bar codes in the kitchen to add new food items. Our 8 year old son has become intrigued and wants to join MFP to track himself. He is very active and healthy and knows how to read nutrition labels to make smarter choices. Like any kid he also LOVES sweets and other treats. I'm concerned that MFP could create an exaggerated focus on calories and exercise re: weight control for this very healthy kid. My focus with him has been food as fuel and exercise as fun. I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of others... Thanks!

Replies

• julieannebyrom
    julieannebyrom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi

from what I've seen in the past you need to be 16 to join MFP, the admin deletes anyone under this age.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't think its good for kids to be counting calories. Thats something they don't need to obsess over at a young age, especially if he is already active and healthy. Besides their calorie needs are so much different then ours, and will constantly change with age, growth spurts etc. that if he is trying to stay at one level it migt actually hurt him in the end if hes not getting what he needs.
  • SlimSadieG
    SlimSadieG Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would be the best idea.

It's easy to get obsessed with something like this, which is great for people like us who may need it, but not so healthy for somebody so young.
  • karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If he doesn't really have a problem - then whatever he is doing is working. If you are asking that it might make him over emphasize his eating - then you might unconsciously think he might. In that case, I would hold off. If he was overweight and really junking it up - then it might be a good thing. Great message Food as fuel, exercise as fun! You sound like a good mommy!!
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you could find an age appropriate site for him to enjoy :) maybe you could use it with him, but concentrating on weight at 8 really I don't think would be a good thing. Also there are a lot of topics on here that are too much for children.
    Hope you find some fun on the net to share together.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I have an 8 year old son, too, and we've tried to tell him the same things (food as fuel, exercise as fun). But I realized that he's also hearing all these commercials and ads for TV shows that talk about "I used to looks like THIS, and now I look like THIS!" and is hearing messages all over the place that on the surface seem to be all about looking "skinny." My dad and mom (who babysit a lot while we work) also talk to hm too much about being "fat" or "skinny" which doesn't help.

He's made comments that his tummy is "fat" and he's noticed me talking about "calories left for the day" at dinner, so I've tried to stop talking about it too much in front of him. I've also tried to tell him that he already eats healthy, that everyone eats treats now and then and it's not a bad thing if you've already had enough good 'fuel' for your body. I focus on how energetic he is, how fast/far he can run when he's healthy. I've also explained to him that Mommy and Daddy might be watching calories 'cause we're older and not growing anymore, so we need to have less 'fuel' than he does as a growing boy. I keep trying to tell him that if his body 'feels' good to him, and it's working well, that's all that matters. But it's HARD, and you worry.

I'm glad to know that admins don't let folks under 16 join - I think it's hard for young folks to figure this stuff out when there's so many conflicting messages out there.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    My kids wanted to join too. They're 8, 10, and almost 13 (the oldest is a girl and at that stage where she's so self conscious about her weight even though she's not overweight). We took that as an opportunity to help them build a healthy lifestyle for themselves.

We talked to them about what it takes for them to stay healthy. We reminded them that they need to make healthy food choices and only eat as much as their bodies need. That means taking small servings and only going back for seconds if they are truly still hungry. We have taught them over the years to love fruits and veggies (we rarely have cookies or chips in the house, and they are perfectly happy to go for apples, celery, carrots, and broccoli instead) and so we reminded them what foods are best for their body. We're also helping them identify if they're hungry or just bored. For example, if they have to turn off the tv and then they immediately ask for food, we remind them to think about if they're really hungry. We also are encouraging them to drink more water throughout the day. As our pediatrician has recommended, we make no food completely off-limits. Even soda is allowed as an occasional treat, but they are learning the difference between once in a while foods and foods that are part of their regular diet.
    We've also talked about how physical activity is good for their body - and not just regarding weight. They are naturally active kids, even though we can't get them into soccer or karate or anything. They ride bikes and run and play outside every day, so when they ask about if they need exercise, we let them know they are already doing that, but they are welcome to join us in our routines, too, if they want.
    When they ask about fitnesspal or weight or calories in a food, we remind them that the goal is to build healthy habits for a healthy lifestyle, and that the website just helps us get back into those habits. But it is a family effort, and they join us with all of that.

I also looked up appropriate calorie intake for kids their age, size, and activity level. It was around 1800-2200 calories a day. Remember, at this age, the normal goal is to be gaining weight as they grow, so make sure your son doesn't feel anxious about that. (Even when a child is overweight, the normal goal is to maintain the weight as he grows into it, but that would be something to discuss with your doctor). I told my children their calorie goals, and sometimes they ask how many calories are in a food, but now they understand that they need to eat enough - just the right kind of calories.

(Afterthought : like I said, my almost 13-year-old is starting to feel self conscious because she is putting on weight - that normal weight that all girls put on in puberty - so I told her that when we go to the doctor for her next checkup in a few months, she can ask about where she should be in weight and calories. But she is also watching us make healthy changes and still eat real food and not spend all day at the gym, so I think our example will help her as she goes through her teen years. But no, I don't think it would be good for her to use mfp at this point)
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is a good idea for your 8 year old child to know so much about you and your husbands weightloss to be honest.

I certainly do not think you should allow him to have an account. In fact I would say I am 100% against the idea.

There is a huge difference between knowing about healthy food [which I wholly support] and encouraging someone so young to actively track what they eat [which is why I think you and hubby need to tone it down around your LO and forget the idea of getting him an account!]
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    My son is about to turn 8 and no way would i let him on here to track his calories... I see that as my job for him. We give him breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner. He should not worry about calories or the level of exercise he is doing.

He and his 6 year old brother eat basically the same things we eat, unless Grandma has them for the day and then they get some chicken fingers and french fries.

Since football practice has started I have made a effort to boost the amount of protein they are taking in to support the killer workout that practice is... I also make sure they get some good carbs and plenty of sleep.
  • SimplyFreckled
    SimplyFreckled Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    if your sons is interested in "tracking" I DO NOT think MFP is the place. But I think this would be a good place.

the PALA Challenge..... Nickelodeon has a "Move it, Log it, Earn it" program.

http://www.nick.com/nick-assets/thebighelp/rtwwdop/pdf/pala-log.pdf
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Talk to his doctor. Don't encourage a dangerous obsession. At 8, a child shouldn't even be thinking about these things. ESPECIALLY if he's a healthy weight and active.
  • mp09aap
    mp09aap Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Unless he is in the obese category ie bmi over 30 its really not a good idea. Calorie counting at a young age can cause eating disorders and OCD. JUST INCORRAGE HIM TO EAT SENCIBLY.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I think you're already doing it right, I don't think he needs to learn how to be obsessed over every bite he takes in
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    it is such a fine line.
    we live in an obese society, but yet eating disorders (anorexia, bulimia, etc) continue to soar.

as a mom of a 10 and 11 yr old (and some others) i know i wouldn't let my kids start counting calories. unless a medical professional declared them obese or for some health reason.

as a parent, you are doing the right thing. you need to set an example for them.
    healthy eating. not limiting, just healthy smart choices.

maybe have him help you plan YOUR foods. ask him to read labels and make good choices for you.
    so you are educating him, but not allowing it to take over his life.
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Possible 'negative', long term effects aside, I'm rather concerned that a parent would allow such a young child to access a totally adult orientated site.
  • rml_16
    Options
    My husband and I are both loving MFP and sometimes chat about our calories remaining or scan bar codes in the kitchen to add new food items. Our 8 year old son has become intrigued and wants to join MFP to track himself. He is very active and healthy and knows how to read nutrition labels to make smarter choices. Like any kid he also LOVES sweets and other treats. I'm concerned that MFP could create an exaggerated focus on calories and exercise re: weight control for this very healthy kid. My focus with him has been food as fuel and exercise as fun. I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of others... Thanks!

You should let him, except that it's against the rules. But how guilty will you feel if he turns out to be overweight?

If he turns out overweight, it isn't going to be because his parents didn't let him use MFP.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options

You should let him, except that it's against the rules. But how guilty will you feel if he turns out to be overweight?

If he is overweight in 10 years then by all means let him sign up!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of other fun bar code scanning apps. Get them one were they can scan food, toys, etc.

That would be a lot more fun that having your kid develop a complex.

In fact. he can make his own. Do a google search for QR code generator.
  • rml_16
    Options
    You're right. We're all overweight because we weren't allowed to obsess over calories at 8 years old.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

If he turns out overweight, it isn't going to be because his parents didn't let him use MFP.

How do you know that for sure?

Really? MFP does not give him the food he eats or sends his *kitten* outside to run and play instead of playing videogames.