I've lost weight, but I look more flabby?

Hi guys!

So I've been dieting and exercising for a couple of weeks now, and I've noticed some good results on the scale (yay!). But when I look in the mirror, I feel like I stick out more (I was never "fat," but wanted to get a little slimmer since it's summer and also since my favorite pair of pants is one size too small now. Oops!).

Can anyone explain why it looks like I've gained fat, even though I do cardio five days a week and strength training 3-4 times a week? Hmmmmm.

Replies

• joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Could be because you dont have all the water making it look as solid. You will sag for a little bit, but eventually it'll tighten up! Don't let that discourage you.

I'd like to know what others think too. I have the same problem, that's what i think about mine though! :smile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    either you have lost muscle, or your skin is looser due to losing weight, which gives the appearance of being flabby.

If you are not doing any strength training, I would start now to limit the amount of muscle you lose.
  • slbober
    slbober Posts: 5
    I was the same way. Also think it has something to do with age. As we get older it takes more firming exercise to tighten up.. Keep going and you will liik great :)
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    If you keep working at it, your skin may tighten up...
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    either you have lost muscle, or your skin is looser due to losing weight, which gives the appearance of being flabby.

If you are not doing any strength training, I would start now to limit the amount of muscle you lose.

Yep, gonna agree with this guy.

Women almost never do enough strength training, when it is very, very important. The common fear of "Building huge bulky muscles" DOES NOT HAPPEN without some serious, 7x a week, massive workouts or taking steroids.

What you will get is firm, athletic looking muscles that are slim and attractive. Athletic is the new sexy, seriously. You women need to start lifting, it is very important!

P.S. Several studies have shown that Strength training PRE-Menopause in woman greatly reduces the risk of significant problems due to bone loss in older years, since weight training and impact training build up bone structure.
  • nitamo
    nitamo Posts: 64
    I would venture to say that you are losing muscle and that's why you are starting to look flabby. If you had a lot of fat to lose and you lost it rapidly then I would say it was from the rapid fat loss and your body not having enough time to shrink back into it's skin but since you say you didn't have much weight to lose, I'd say you lost muscle. Get going on the strength training to get that back.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Likely it's just that your skin is not stretched as tightly because there is less of you. But at your age your skin should tighten back up pretty quickly.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member

I second this.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    It could be in your head. I find myself noticing the imperfections more now that I'm working to correct them, than I ever did before. In my mind, I know I'm thinner, but sometimes I feel fatter just because I'm paying more attention.

Just like not weighing too often, some people shouldn't look in the mirror too often either.

Stick with it and I promise you'll be happy with how you look 8^D
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member

I second this.

Thirded.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

I second this.

Thirded.

The OP said she does strength training