Big Metabolism Boost

Options
Did many of you have big swings in your matabolism? I'd been plateauing/maintaining for the past couple of weeks and for some odd reason my metabolism has boost into overdrive this week. I've had a very similar diet, if not with a bit of indulgence even, and have lost almost 4 pounds since Sunday, with very minimal excerise. That really hadn't happend since I started and had over 80 pounds to lose. I'm not complaining by any means, it was just odd to have my body kick in like that. I wanted if some of you had had the same experience when you were in the 6th month of your journey.

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    That will happen if you increase your calorie intake after a period of fasting. The body is designed to maintain weight. If you fast for long periods, your metabolism will adjust to the lower calorie intake and slow down. Ideally, though, the metabolism wants more calories and will speed up once you increase. At least once a week, I increase my calorie intake and I manage to avoid plateaus.
  • Colfiii
    Colfiii Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    thanks for the post and for th answer - I didn t know that ... I m sort of plateauing too though I run a lot ( around 20 miles per week ) and I stay under my calories almost each day ( some days too much maybe ) ... so hope I ll learn something from here ...
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Sometimes that's what your metabolism needs... a change up in calorie intake or a few days of rest or just a change up in routine/exercise. And for me, when I plateau, that's usually what I DO need to do! Cycle my calories, try something new and keep remembering that the scale doesn't dictate how healthy I am. GREAT JOB!
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    That will happen if you increase your calorie intake after a period of fasting. The body is designed to maintain weight. If you fast for long periods, your metabolism will adjust to the lower calorie intake and slow down. Ideally, though, the metabolism wants more calories and will speed up once you increase. At least once a week, I increase my calorie intake and I manage to avoid plateaus.

I agree with this post. This just happened to me this week. I've taken a couple of days off consecutively and eaten a bit more (clean) calories and lost another pound since weighing in.