Walk or Run - Calories

Options
I've always been told, and believed, the adage that one mile of walking burns the same number of calories as one mile of running; I was wrong. While seeking a good calorie calculator for treadmill work (one that includes incline), I came across this article. Since it was written in 2005, I guess I've been very lax in my knowledge. I hope others find it as interesting as I did - but I still HATE running :-) http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html

Replies

• bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I hope others find it as interesting as I did - but I still HATE running :-)
    llol
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Options
    True, running does burn more per minute than walking. But for me, I can only run for a few minutes while I can walk for hours. If you only have ten minutes to spend on cardio, running might be the way to go. But when I think about what I'll actually be motivated to do long-term, it's still walking.
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Do intervals if you don't want to run a lot, run for even just a 100 feet, walk to recover then do it again. It will be much better than just walking.
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that!