o Schedules

Community

o Isolation doesn’t work
o Reading posts by others is very motivating

Commitment
o I have to decide this is right for me for my life
o Get out of denial and get at it

Reality

• That it is possible to eat healthy and to have that occasional treat and not be overweight.
• That if I continued my poor eating habits I would continue to gain weight every year and that my health and waist line would suffer.
• That it isn’t about anyone else in my world, I am the gatekeeper I decide what I eat and how much I exercise. I chose to make the changes necessary to meet my goals.
• Figure out what works for you and do it! Log your food, prepare, schedule your exercise, limit your social eating, whatever it is – be aware of it and do it – you can’t put yourself in tempting situations and expect success!
• MFP works because it raises your awareness of what you are eating, how much your are exercising, and the struggles we all experience around weight and healthy living.

Good luck on your journeys - What have you learned?

Replies

• nutritionater
    nutritionater Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing what you've learned. It is so clear and concise and the perfect reminder!
  • emyback68
    Options
    Wow, I really like this. Thanks for sharing.
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    It's amazing what we can do when we set our minds to a task. The saying "mind over matter" is true. What you've learned is what in our minds we already knew but refused to acknowledge. I think our weight loss journey is really one of self-knowledge and realizes we have the power to change. It is within us all.

Thanks Karen on your post. I have followed the same path
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Good reminders. Thanks for sharing.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    The hardest lesson I've learned is that some weeks, I won't lose anything. I have to find motivation from somewhere else those weeks I don't lose.
  • momcindy
    momcindy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I agree and would add that I like that I can be completely honest and accountable here because most members understand the struggle and shame that comes with being overweight.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Patience! Yes! This morning seeing I'd lost only .4 lb was a bummer, but I took a moment to remember that it was still a loss, there was no gain and I know next week will also be a loss.

All things we need to remember.
  • HulaChic
    HulaChic Posts: 47
    Options
    All of your points are valid and on point. I hope you do not mind ~ I did a copy and paste into a Word document so I can have those reminders at close hand. Super Successful Day to You!!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Beautiful and thoughtful post -- thank you!

I've learned to never fall prey to the "older women will just get heavier and have no control over their metabolism" stereotype.

Have a great day!
  • alimoll
    alimoll Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks so much for sharing!
  • cameralinds
    Options
    One thing that I have been learning is that it isn't a competition of who can be the best. I really like being the best though. BUT it's not about being THE best, it's about doing MY best. Just because one friend burns 900 calories for the day does not mean I need to as well. We all work at our own pace, on our own days, on our own journey.

Also, I'm learning that weight comes off with time. (I've fluctuated the same 5 pounds for the past 3 years). Now that I am trying, I still shouldn't expect it to come off with ease. My body is used to being this weight so it is going to keep fighting to stay this weight. Patience, I guess is what I am learning! Trying to learn!
  • harlylena
    harlylena Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Awesome post....love your observations. As I start this I'm learning that I have to stick to an eating schedule otherwise it all slides downhill.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. What I've learned (or trying to get into my thick head-lol) is that this is a journey. It's not a 6 month race to the finish and then it's over and I can go back to what I was doing before. I want and need to live a healthy long life, it's a forever thing.
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Completely agree! Great post!! :)
  • Chainsaw_Flowerchild
    Options
    Nice post.
  • Penguinita
    Penguinita Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Great post Karen!
  • Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Nice post.

I've learned to use the community MFP offers, to benchmark against others, to learn from their experiences, to share successes. It's motivating to know others are "watching" me.