Mexican Restaurant Tonight! What to EAT???

Options
It's my best friends birthday and we have a dinner planned tonight. Unfortunatly the Restaurant does not offer the nutritional value of the dishes they serve (i checked the website) Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should eat or stay away from? I was thinking of just having a salad.

PS- i know that Margaritas are out of the question!!!! :-)

Replies

• BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Advice I try to follow- don't eat the free food at restaurants. Chips/salsa, breadsticks, etc.

I would try to go with chicken tacos or fajitas, limit cheese, sour cream, guacamole. Lots of veggies. Good luck and have fun!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I like the fajitas....(minus the tortillas)...I skip sour cream too mostly because I don't like it. My go to lunch at the Mex restaurant here is a mushroom quesadilla..(yumm!)...a small guacamole salad and pico de gallo...big water with lots of lemons.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Girl, you are celebrating, enjoy yourself a margarita!! :P
  • laurendough
    Options
    Easy - order chicken fajitas and just eat the chicken & grilled veggies. Very low in calories for how delicious it is. If you want to add a small amount of guacamole, the calories are pretty reasonable on that too. I usually allow myself 10 tortilla chips, and salsa is very low-cal. I lost 2 lbs one week that I had mexican food three times!
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    Ask for your chips with out salt and try the fajitas. Or if you have been working hard enjoy it as a free day! One day will not ruin your progress.
  • MelanieWo
    Options
    Try eating something off of the appetizer portion of the menu. That way you don't get the rice and beans on the side. I went out for Mexican last night and had mini chimis. I had them leave off the sour cream and quacamole. I used salsa instead. The appetizer came with 6, but I could only eat 3. That was 440 calories. It was delicious too.
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Try to stay away from the flour tortillas, go with corn. Maybe a chicken or carne soft taco with whole pinto beans. Oh I getting hungry...
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    chilli bowl no cheese, or chicken fajitas....
  • raiderette74
    Options
    I'd go with Chicken (or Prawn) fajitas, no tortillas, no rice, extra beans. And skip the chips or limit yourself to just a few.
  • FAKECED
    FAKECED Posts: 61
    Options
    NOTHING!!!
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Fajitas! I don't usually eat the tortillas .. but I do keep the Guacamole (good fats right?) .... and I keep the cheese and sour cream also because you are going out to have some fun and enjoy yourself! I don't touch any chips or salsa and I drink a ton of water. Have a blast tonight! Ole!
  • missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    veggie fajitas with no tortillas! that's what i always do. or chicken fajitas. yum!
  • KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Last time I went to a hole in the wall Mexican restaurant I had no clue about nutrition values I tried to play it as safe as I could. I had a grilled chicken taco salad, minus cheese and sour cream (the two best parts in my opinion, ugh) and didn't eat the shell. It was tasty and I was left feeling ok about my decision and not regretting it later. Usually grilled chicken is always a good bet, just high in sodium but I wouldn't stress about it!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Being Mexican myself, this is how I keep my cuisine low cal.....

Avoid the chips & salsa. I suggest the fajitas but avoid the sour cream. OK to add a little guac for taste. If you have tortillas, as for corn NOT flour. If you have side dishes, stay away from the fried (or refried!) beans. OR... you could just not eat and have the Margarita! =)
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    I always do taco salads without the shell. Add up the basic ingredients in your food diary to see what you can have. I usually order it with shredded chicken, pico, salsa, cheese and sour cream. But if you need to have less fat just omit either the cheese or sour cream, or both. I sometimes also add guacamole in lieu of cheese. Yum!!
  • ShoeGal81
    ShoeGal81 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i'll see if they can make me a skinny girl Margarita!!!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I would say- b/c we are all going to say something different. Look in the database and pull up some of the items that you see on the menu- many restaurants are comparable!

As if they have corn tortias and if not you can have a flour one! just don't eat the 4-6 they bring- limit it to 1-2

You are going out to celebrate! You don't do this every day!

well I get the losing weight (I have lost 48 since March)- but I never limited myself- its one night- one night is not going to make you gain weight- Have a drink and celebrate! just don't have 5-6 of them! enjoy yourself!

Remember it took time to gain the weight, it takes time to lose it, and one night is not going to bring it all back on !!!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'd go with fajitas.
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Flour tortillas in general! Always go with corn, don't eat the rice! eat beans instead! Eat chicken, stay away from steack, or alpastor(pork meat). eating a few chips is okay, salsa's are not bad for you, they are from veggies, but they do have some salt...get a Pico de gallo instead.....don't eat fried foods like Flautas, or Chille Rellenos(egg batter is fried), but other then that, tacos are not that horrible, if you eat them the right way, like maybe don't get cheese on it, but enjoy the chicken, lettuce, and tomato...stay light on the sour cream....I eat these kinds of foods everyday, so don't worry enjoy yourself, and you'll be okay ;)
  • ShoeGal81
    ShoeGal81 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I will definitly try to modify the meal to make a bit healthier - you guys definitly gave me some great ideas. THANKS :-)))