Adjusting calories for previous day

Options
Is it okay if I went over on calories for a couple days to go *under* on calories for a couple days to make up the difference? I was reading this book "The Secrets of Skinny Chics" and some of the women profiled in there would aim for weekly calories instead of daily calories. So if they knew they had a vacation coming up, or several meals over a holiday, etc., they would eat less calories for the days leading up to that. Plus work out more of course. But MFP doesn't seem to have a setup for that model.

Replies

• neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Is it okay if I went over on calories for a couple days to go *under* on calories for a couple days to make up the difference? I was reading this book "The Secrets of Skinny Chics" and some of the women profiled in there would aim for weekly calories instead of daily calories. So if they knew they had a vacation coming up, or several meals over a holiday, etc., they would eat less calories for the days leading up to that. Plus work out more of course. But MFP doesn't seem to have a setup for that model.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    There have been many threads about this. They call it "zig zaggin" or Calorie shifting....you take the total number of calories in a week and split it up ...one day higher calories, one day lower calories, and at the end of the week it should add up to the total number of calories that you would normally eat if you ate the same amount each day. Supposed to keep your metabolism quessing.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it is a bad idea as long as you don't go below 1200 cals in one day. Also you should not do that too often and/or too long. I think a whole week is too long...a couple of days ok maybe. I am sure others will have their own opinion and perhaps give you the links for some other post on the same subject. I think everyone is different and you do what works best for you as long as you are not doing something that will jeopardize your health. I have not read that book you mention but remember that some of those skinny chics are just skinny but not healthy. And sometimes the things they do to stay at a certain size is just dangerous. Good luck!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jangel1975
    Options
    Yes you can definately do that but your body as a woman needs at least 1200 calories a day regardless of you reducing the calories. Because you are automatically putting your body into starvation mode if you go below that which reduces your weight loss.
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I would say stick to the plan MFP lays out for you, however, I've gone over and under at least 2 days each week since I started (2 weeks ago...I know...not much to base on) and lost weight.

Week 1: Lost 5 lbs (I think it was a fluke) Ate under my first 2 days, but I think I was worried about going over being new at this, so I ate too little. Next 5 days right on target!!

Week 2 : Lost 2 lbs Over 2 days by quite a bit (Turkey Day and sushi night out), under 1.

I think it's OK if you're not right on each day, but try to most days.
  • kazzit
    kazzit Posts: 113
    Options
    i find it hard to use all my calories for the day any advice
  • sydenham24
    Options
    :happy:

true