Leg pain-sort of-while running

Options
I am training for my first half marathon that will occur on Labor Day. I feel like my progress has been good--I was able to run 8 straight miles last week, which I never thought I would do. However, my progress is somewhat hampered by a pain that I get. It is centered in the left side of my behind. But then I get a tingling feeling down my left leg. It is not sciatica--I know what that's like from experience. It certainly feels like it might be a circulation problem. Anybody have any experience with something like this and know what I can do about it? Thanks!

Replies

• atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to talk to your doctor, if it persist or get worse. Otherwise make sure you take your time to warm-up, cool-down, and stretch properly.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I would see an Osteopath that does manipulation. They work with the muscles and bones together. They are amazing. It may still be a nerve issue or muscle issue, but you need to see a professional.
  • Anoble17
    Anoble17 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're really stretching your glutes well before you run. I was having a similar sort of pain when I did footwork exercises for boxing. These stretches felt incredible, and I haven't really had that problem since.

http://www.fitness-training-at-home.com/glute-stretches.html
  • deadliftdavie1918
    deadliftdavie1918 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    look on the runners world website and search for advice about hip injuries and talk to your doctor. your running distances will only get longer and you don"t want it to get worse.
  • mechred
    mechred Posts: 5
    Options
    Better see a doctor. My father started having pain in his leg that would come and go. He finally went to the doctor and he had a clogged artery.
  • muffindowd
    Options
    I second the osteopath suggestion!! I have been seeing one for my back/hip/legs and he is my hero. He aligns me and centers me and keeps me feeling good!! My joint between my left leg and hip has been bothering me so I am going to mine tomorrow. I highly recommend them. They are like a step up from a chiropractor.
  • jhuguez
    jhuguez Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!