Side Dishes

Options
So I'm making baked chicken tonight any recipes for healthy sides ( besides steamed veggies which I'm already planning on cooking) My boyfriend is all about me dieting but I need to get him to secretly eat healthier :)

Replies

• Pfauxmeh
    Pfauxmeh Posts: 259
    Options
    I like having some kind of starch...baked sweet potato half with cinnamon and sugar, brown rice or couscous, or whole wheat pasta with some kind of lemony sauce. Mmmmm.
  • lovinart
    Options
    mashed potatoes with cauliflower puree mixed in.
  • cavaaller_85
    cavaaller_85 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hungry-girl.com has a great cole slaw recipe that is only 60-some calories per serving! I make it all the time now! Tastes VERY close to the real thing! She also has a really good pasta salad recipe, but it takes some time to prepare because you have to boil eggs and pasta and let them cool.
  • Janie5605
    Janie5605 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Im a big couscous fan! I add a little garlic and lemon to it with some fresh mint. Yum!
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hey! Where in MNPLS? I'm in Brooklyn Park!

Anyways, have some sweet potatoes or whole grain linguinie sauteed with olive oil and garlic (just about a 1/2 c because it's got like 200+ cals for more than that.....

I also like to do a fruit salad with dinner. Curbs the need for dessert afterwords.
    You can get some bake and serve whole grain rolls from the bakery at a grocery store. Normally around 120-150 cals.
    Awesome, crispy fresh out of the oven.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Hummus or cottage cheese
  • bearsfan2334
    Options
    bump.
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    I like to make a cucumber and tomato salad with fat free zesty italian dressing. Just peel the cucumber and then cut into small bite size pieces and I use grape tomatoes and slice in half then add some dressing and mix it all up. It is super light and my husband LOVES it!

Another is baked sweet potato fries. Preheat oven to 350. In the meantime peel sweet potatoes and then slice into fry size pieces then mix olive oil and rosemary (just play with the amounts I don't have a recipe) and coat the fries in the mix then bake til soft to touch and browned on outside. Again...hubby LOVES this!
  • foremaar012
    Options
    Hey! Where in MNPLS? I'm in Brooklyn Park!

Anyways, have some sweet potatoes or whole grain linguinie sauteed with olive oil and garlic (just about a 1/2 c because it's got like 200+ cals for more than that.....

I also like to do a fruit salad with dinner. Curbs the need for dessert afterwords.
    You can get some bake and serve whole grain rolls from the bakery at a grocery store. Normally around 120-150 cals.
    Awesome, crispy fresh out of the oven.

I'm downtown, I love this city in the summer!! Especially the fresh market on nicollett .....I think I'll try the cucumber tomato salad....seriously addicted to tomatoes