If you want to burn FAT? This is a good read.

Options
2»

Replies

• bhagavatilad1
    Options
    where's the like button on this thing. Yes, I knew that weight lifting burns more calories but you have to decide if you are exercising for your heart to be healthy aswell which one is more important.?
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Why does it have to be either or?

I'm doing both. Yes I want to burn fat, but once the fat goes I want to look good under there. I'm currently doing weights twice a week and cardio six times. (two are cardio and weights combined)

And I am DYING at the idea of softball being a sport that induces fitness. You cannot play softball only and get or even keep fit. Softballers who want to be fit do other activities.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    There is so much misinformation in this post. Azdak's reply is right on but I think the implications of his cryptic response flew over everyone's heads. It is much more complicated than I want to spend the time explaining but it bothers me that the responders are all taking this for gospel, thanking the original poster for all the information etc etc. I was going to let it slide but my conscience couldn't do so.

FIrst off there is reference to "aerobic and anaerobic calories" . Calories are not aerobic or anaerobic. Aerobic and anerobic refers to the method by which energy is burned, ie the form of metabolism so to speak. One can burn calories by aerobic (oxygen requiring) or anerobic methods (not requiring oxygen). These are processes that occur at the cellular level. The calories themselves are not aerobic or anaerobic.

In the interest of saving myself some explanation time here is a link to a Livestrong article that explains a bit better the fat burning percentages with various types of exercises. The main gist of this article is that although lower intensity exercised my burn a higher PERCENTAGE of fat, a higher intensity of training will actually burn more fat overall since you are burning more calories overall with higher intensity.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/431402-aerobic-vs-anaerobic-fat-burning/

With pretty much any exercise you will burn both glycogen and fat. At lower intensity exercises the percentage of fat is higher but at higher intensity activity the TOTAL amound of fat burned is higher even though the percentage is lower. I know that sounds confusing but basically since you are burning more TOTAL calories with higher intensity then your total fat burn will come out higher for the same amount of exercise time. Regarding anaerobic exercise, that is exercise that the body can only maintain for a couple of MINUTES maxium...........sprinting all out, weight lifting etc. You are burning mostly glycogen during those times and it is true that lactic acid is the byproduct of anaerobic metabolism. The so-called "anaerobic activities" listed by the original poster are activities are mostly aerobic with bursts of anaerobic periods. One can only maintain an anaerobic state for a minute or two at a time, like sprinting. The body cannot physically function in an anaerobic state for any length of time. The activities that the original poster listed as primarily anaerobic are actually great aerobic activites and a great way to burn fat (as well as glycogen ....refer to the linked article)