Weight Loss and Exams Cramming

Options
i'm a student and have a load to do in the next few weeks (exams, thesis due, etc.). i try to break up my studying by going to the gym. i sit here for hours trying to studying and all i want to do is eat.

things i've tried: gym breaks (just make me more hungry though, obviously + require a lot of time i don't have right now); lots of water; tea; healthier snacks (apples, plums, bananas, peanut butter, sometimes soy icecream, frozen yogurt); fuller breakfasts; coffee

most things don't curb my cravings and the calories still really add because i'm eating so often.

any suggestions?

Replies

• usedtobeme
    Options
    i'm a student and have a load to do in the next few weeks (exams, thesis due, etc.). i try to break up my studying by going to the gym. i sit here for hours trying to studying and all i want to do is eat.

things i've tried: gym breaks (just make me more hungry though, obviously + require a lot of time i don't have right now); lots of water; tea; healthier snacks (apples, plums, bananas, peanut butter, sometimes soy icecream, frozen yogurt); fuller breakfasts; coffee

most things don't curb my cravings and the calories still really add because i'm eating so often.

any suggestions?
  • rachel41
    rachel41 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hello,Have you tried chewing gum?I know it helps me alot
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're eating to relieve anxiety... I did the same thing as an undergraduate. Once I tried to write a paper overnight just drinking fluids and went through a 12-pack of diet pepper in one night. Fortunately, I found some healthier ways to get my studying done in grad school:

Try a break that helps you to relax - a walk instead of a run, a hot shower instead of a hot chocolate.
    Try studying somewhere where you can't eat - like in the library!
    Try writing down what you're memorizing - if the pen is in your hand, the ice cream probably won't be!
    Try keeping just fresh fruits and vegetables in your dorm. Nothing you'd ever think of binging on. No foods that you're "excited to eat" - for me, that's any dessert, sweets or snack foods.

And make sure you're getting enough sleep. And drinking enough water. Sometimes we "over-fuel" to compensate for fatigue and thirst.

Good luck with your finals/thesis!
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I'm a student and it's haaaard sometimes.

Oh! Big carrots! Buy a pound of big, raw carrots. It'll take you forever to get through one, it's healthy, it makes you chew a lot (which makes some people feel more satisfied), and it fills you up nicely.

Lots of water and tea are GREAT. If you don't put much in it and drink compensatory water, coffee's ok. Just beware caffeine jitters.
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm on my way to the library right now....I'm afraid that if I don't Ill put myself in a sugar coma while avoiding all of the work i have to do!!!

haha, it's hard, but Thank GOD it only happens twice a year. Exams really test your discipline, not just academically.