eating anything in Moderation?

Options
I know i've read on here about people who eat whatever they want as long stay with in there calorie goal and exercise. does this really work? I've been eating so much healthier but am reluctant to have that slice of pizza Ive been craving even when i have the calories to cover it. just wondering about the people who try this.

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    *Points at Profile Picture*

I'm a gal who strongly believes in moderation.. be it food, exercise, w/e. So far I've lost 25 pounds(hit that lil mark this morning) and I don't regret any of it. Healthy food is awesome and has it's place in the diet and exercise world. but sometimes, you gotta treat yourself. If you have the calories for it, then why not?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, yes. It's all about calories. But to be "fit" you'll want to make sure that "moderation" doesn't mean "often". But what kind of life would it be without pizza occasionally??
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Yeah it works. I have just had a slice of pizza and later I am having chocolate AND popcorn :O Film night, with my 9 year old. I dont eat rubbish everyday and have kept it light on breakfast and lunch. Sometimes I find I even lose more weight have the odd cheat.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    It will work just fine as far as weight loss goes. You could eat nothing but little Debbie's all day, as long as you stay within your calorie allowance, and you will still lose weight. Performance is a different story though. You will stay fuller longer, have more energy and be overall healthier if you eat foods that are good for you.

**I say eat the pizza. For me I need to satisfy my cravings or I derail. I eat healthy foods most the time but I don't deprive myself of anything.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Go for the pizza, in moderation! If the rest of your meals have been good, one slice of pizza will not hurt you. I can't stick to all good for you foods all the time. As long as it is in moderation , I think you will be fine!
  • keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    I've lost 77lbs doing this method. I eat what I want but I'm conscious of keeping my day in balance. I've had ribs, pizza, choc cake, etc.

however its not everyday and my average day is filled with healthy balanced meals or healthy versions of what I do want. My husband has gotten annoyed with me if i don't want to go out for ice cream, but i know what I need in any particular day. I don't have cravings, I don't go off the wagon, I just work it into my meal plan for a day.
  • purpleprose
    Options
    If I want that slice of pizza, I'll eat it. But I'll only eat one, and I'll eat it with a large salad.

This is a permanent change for me, so I'm going to eat things that are "bad" but I'm going to do it smartly and with control. So, if you want that pizza, by all means have a slice!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    *Points at Profile Picture*

I'm a gal who strongly believes in moderation.. be it food, exercise, w/e. So far I've lost 25 pounds(hit that lil mark this morning) and I don't regret any of it. Healthy food is awesome and has it's place in the diet and exercise world. but sometimes, you gotta treat yourself. If you have the calories for it, then why not?

Ditto!! I've lost 69 pounds eating this way and have loved every minute of it. I finally realized this time around that the reason weight loss attempts failed in the past is because I would avoid all those things I loved because they were diet no-no's and I'd end up getting bored of eating healthy all the time, would give in and then give up.

I know a lot of folks are all about clean eating but that's just not my thing. I love food too much!
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Yes, to anything in moderation. I think why I failed at keeping the weight off before was by not allowing myself to "cheat" every once in a while. Yes, I lost the weight but not by enjoying myself here and there. Then when I hit my goal weight I said, skinny people eat cake whiy can't I. Well, I can but not the whole cake!
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    A slice of pizza isn't even really unhealthy. It's equivalent to tomatoes, cheese, bread.

"In moderation" just means a little bit of a bad thing won't set back your goals. Just be careful not "eat anything in moderation" doesn't become "eat anything and everything."
  • jjewelty
    jjewelty Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You all sound like you're moving in the right direction! This is a lifetime way of eating, not just a way to get the weight off quick. You want it to come off and STAY off! That means you need to learn how to control how much you put away ALL the time. Go ahead and have a slice, just plan it into your meal budget. If you conquer it, it won't conquer you!
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Pizza happens....as long as it doesnt hapen every day :)
  • shanel_h
    shanel_h Posts: 18
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES! I have been doing great on my life change journey but the more I've thought about it i know that i wont ever want to give up pizza or other things for the rest of my life. I have gotten alot better with stretching my claoires out so that i am able to eat all day long and be satisfied rather then it one big meal a day and be starving for the rest. I think i will definitly try to factor in a slice of pizza at least once a month to stop depriving myself of something i love thank you!!!
  • smonty88
    smonty88 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I follow this type of eating, and i find it works for me! But it only works because of how i now see food. Food = Energy to me not anything emotional, as as long as i'm within my calorie intake and exercise i know i'm cool. But going it this way your also more able to stick to it it becomes apart of your lifestyle and not some strict unmaintainable diet!!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want as long as I hit my carbs, fat, protein, and calorie requirements and it has worked very well. I never feel like I am dieting and will do this till the day I die.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want,I drink,have fast food hasnt seemed to slow me down at all
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have to stop eating whatever in moderation.. it's slowing my weight loss down as I get closer to my goal.. but all the weight I have lost so far was eating small portions of whatever.. I ate oreo's yesterday and I haven't given up pizza at all.. I hate Pizza Hut last week.

I do eat more healthy though.. veggi's, fruit, ect... I'm working on cutting out the snacks and bad food, but it's so hard to doa ll together!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's worked for me - 40 pounds down. Just be careful though, it is easy to let the "moderation" become a bit too often if you don't pay attention. But, I'm in this for the long term so I've had to give myself a good talking to and start paying attention to portions and moderation again!
    I know that if I had set out to deny myself cake, chocolate and other treats forever, I would have never got started. If you are craving pizza, eat it, enjoy it, then back to regular healthy eating.
  • MrCake
    MrCake Posts: 53
    Options
    A diet is about more than just counting calories. Don't really understand people that follow and advertise this view, but if you need it as an excuse to eat junk food without "feeling guilty" then go ahead. Personally think that if you healthy for the most part, having a cheat meal every now and then won't hurt youi and sometimes can even be benefitial. At least 90% of my meals each week will be planned, and I'll eat anything in moderating during the other 10%. The more overweight you are, this percentage should probably adjust ( 95, 5 % split).