Working out while sick? DO or DON'T?

Options
I know i have seen this somewhere that you shouldnt workout while your sick if you do cardio cause that can make you feel worse! I really wanna do zumba tonight cause we have our sub instructor who i like better then our regular one! I've have a headache since yesterday but really wanna go! UGH

Replies

• lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to take anything for the headache?
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is good advice, but I always go for runs when i have headaches/colds and the like. Helps blood flow, forces you to breath deeper and open your lungs. Just be careful that you don't overdo it. Take a break if you feel dizzy.
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Exercise and illness: Work out with a cold?
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/AN01097

Is it OK to exercise if I have a cold?

Answer
    from Edward R. Laskowski, M.D.

Mild to moderate physical activity is usually OK if you have a garden-variety cold and no fever. Exercise may even help you feel better by opening your nasal passages and temporarily relieving nasal congestion.

As a general guide for exercise and illness, consider this:

Exercise is usually OK if your signs and symptoms are all "above the neck" — symptoms you may have with a common cold, such as runny nose, nasal congestion, sneezing or minor sore throat. Consider reducing the intensity and length of your workout, though, or you may feel worse. Instead of going for a run, take a walk, for example.
    Don't exercise if your signs and symptoms are "below the neck" — such as chest congestion, hacking cough or upset stomach.
    Don't exercise if you have a fever, fatigue or widespread muscle aches.
    Let your body be your guide. If you have a cold and feel miserable, take a break. Scaling back or taking a few days off from exercise when you're sick shouldn't affect your performance. Resume your normal workout routine gradually as you begin to feel better. And check with your doctor if you aren't sure if it's OK to exercise.

Remember if you do choose to exercise when you're sick, reduce the intensity and length of your workout. If you attempt to exercise at your normal intensity when you have more than a simple cold, you could risk more serious injury or illness.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    What kind of sick are you? LIke flu, cold, etc? If you just have a headache, try to get a little caffeine and some Tylenol (or whatever you normally use) in you now and see if it goes away by Zumba time. Don't push yourself, but if you really want to go, you could always just go and leave early if it's too much.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    depends on how sick you are...if you're contagious, I would not be too happy you shared your germs with the rest of the class
    but if not, and you simply MUST go, then take it easy, doing more low impact moves
  • debtfre12
    debtfre12 Posts: 203
    Options
    I recommend you do not.
  • Musia78
    Musia78 Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow! This is really great advice. Thanks for finding and posting this.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Unless the headache is debilitating, I don't really consider a headache being "sick." If I could still work out, I would. If you feel like you are actually coming down with something, I'd rest.
  • Jenn81
    Jenn81 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just have a headache, have had it since yesterday... Ive been resting and drinking lots of water. I'm gonna go and if it gets worse then it does!