Vibram fivefingers

2»

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    I have to say I just googled them and they are scaring me! I don't think I could ever where those...

What's so scary about them?
  • Dragonwolf
    I absolutely love my Vibrams!

Whether they're a good idea or not depends largely on medical conditions. For most people without foot conditions in which being barefoot is detrimental (high arches, fallen arches, etc), then it's not recommended, at least without consulting a doctor.

If you don't have a medical condition that prevents you from walking barefoot, then Vibrams are just fine! The key is to make sure your running/walking form is correct. If you walk like you're in padded tennis shoes, then you're going to be hurting really quickly. However, if you walk like you're supposed to (soft, mid-foot strike), then you should be fine. So many people run barefoot or in Vibrans like they do in other shoes (hard, heel strike) and then wonder why they're in pain.

It can also take a while to build the muscles and endurance, so you also can't slap on a pair of Vibrams after a lifetime of running in thick running shoes and expect to run the same distance at the same speed right away.

haha this wasnt posted yet when I started my reply.. good to know though. Thanks :)

Honestly, I've seen stuff from both sides. Some people say it's helped with the arch problems (it forces you to strengthen parts of your feet that don't get used in other shoes), while others say it makes them worse. Ultimately, you're probably best off talking to a doctor (or three) and gauging by how you do walking around barefoot around the house.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    I adore mine. I used to use a good running shoe but my knees and shins would burn the whole time. With my vibrams I feel great. One big thing though: allow a long break-in period. If you don't, you will hurt. You will get blisters on top of blisters. Trust me. One blister would peel off and there would be another one underneath. If you allow a long, slow break-in period, the muscles in your feet will adapt and feel amazing. If you want to be a real badass and go barefoot, Vibrams are a good in-between step.
  • kwaz29
    kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
    i want them so badly! so many of my crew teammates have them and love them, im just saving up the money now!
  • Jamiebaby05
    Jamiebaby05 Posts: 47 Member
    i guess part of the reason i love them so much is because im a barefoot junkie.....i wear flip flops in the dead of winter....lol! So apparently my arches are acustom to being barefoot.....Thanks for all the feedback
  • Dragonwolf
    There have been people having issues with them for half and full marathons because you're running on concrete. I'm going to see if I can find the article where a runner told some of the issues he had.

YAY! didn't think I would find it that quick.

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/articles/2011/01/09/youre_crazy/

Even the Kenyans thought he was nuts ;)

Honestly, it sounds like the author ignored an injury that had been forming for some time. Had he not, things may have turned out differently. It's not really much different than getting a stress fracture in any other footwear.

The author also doesn't mention how long he trained and whether he did so properly. As I mentioned before, so many people seem to think they can just put them on and run the distance, speed, and (most important...and detrimental of all) way they did in other shoes, when you simply can't do that, and I think that's the main problem with this "rash" of injuries associated with the shoes.

I think his mindset reflect that attitude ("I can just put these on and I'll be golden, even without proper training.") when he complained about the issues he had with the rocks and other ground clutter. Part of running barefoot or in minimalist shoes is being aware of your environment and knowing where, and on what, your feet are going to land.
  • SDMHudson
    SDMHudson Posts: 84 Member
    I have a pair and I'm in the process of breaking my in. I guess I'm in the "keep pushing" phase, because right now after I run for awhile, my shins start BURNING. I don't say that to scare anyone away, but I think I'm still learning how to run correctly (form wise).

I'm going to keep with it though. I will say that I have significantly decreased my run time.

Selena
  • Dragonwolf
    I have a pair and I'm in the process of breaking my in. I guess I'm in the "keep pushing" phase, because right now after I run for awhile, my shins start BURNING. I don't say that to scare anyone away, but I think I'm still learning how to run correctly (form wise).

I'm going to keep with it though. I will say that I have significantly decreased my run time.

Selena

How far and how fast are you running? If you're trying to go the distance and speed that you did in your old shoes, you're more likely to hurt yourself, especially if your form is wrong.

Remember -start out slower and for shorter distances and slowly build your way back up. You're using a lot of muscles that haven't been used before (or haven't been used the way they are now), you also have a lot less cushioning than what you had before, so poor form will be more likely to hurt you.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I've had mine over a year now. I've gone as far as 10 miles in them. I find them very comfy and enjoyable to run in. And they have really made my lower legs stronger.

I have fairly high arches and this is the 1st I've heard where it's bad for me. I have experienced no ill affects, and I certainly don't plan to stop running in them either.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    I can't wait to get some... I've been running barefoot for a few weeks, and I love it. I'll keep going fully barefoot, but I want them for trail races and for when it starts getting too chilly to go without something on my feet.
  • Love, love, LOVE mine! I have two pairs - I use one for circuit training indoors, and the other for walking outdoors.

I don't run in them, but I imagine that the alterations you have to make for walking are similar. You definitely don't want to go heel-toe with these - more of a mid foot strike. Also, I find that I need to use a MUCH shorter stride.

For the first little while you have them, you'll be discovering muscles close to your shin that you never knew you had. After that, they're FANTASTIC!