This is a MUST do!

Hello all -
I've struggled all my life with being overweight. I am 61, 5'2" and was 214.2 when I had my most ah-ha moment ever on Sunday.. Last year I was diagnosed as prediabetic, but every time I've taken my BG (blood glucose) it's been normal. They were going by my a1c with was 6.3 (should be <6). Well, on Saturday night I was itching something terrible all night and had a vision the next morning of a poster in my doctor's office that said "itching" was one of the signs of daibetes. I checked my BG and sure enough it was 136! I can't tell you how sick at heart I was. My mother was diabetic, and 3 of my 4 siblings are diabetic and don't care of their self. My husband of 42 years is on 4 insulin shots a day and does NOT take care of himself - he is starting to have complications. I absolutely HAVE to do and WANT to do this! Needless to say I have a lot of weight to lose, but even more to lose if I don't lose the weight I love this site! I am entering every bite that goes into my mouth. I hope to find encouragement and be of support to others. I'm on a 1200 calorie diet, but keeping my carbs very low.

Replies

• Ughhhh_
    Ughhhh_ Posts: 12
    You can do it!(:
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    You can do it! My father in law is one year older than you and with a controlled diet and exercise he has managed to get off all of his diabetes medication.
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Look into some weight training, supposed to be good for blood sugar levels and I read some info that said Chia seeds are good for helping to naturally control blood sugar levels. I take the chia seeds for other reasons but they seem to have several different benefits.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Check out dlife.com.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    good luck ginadye..............as the weight comes off, your symptoms will disappear.........did for me

again, since you dont smoke and have any damage to your lungs ,liver from drinking or abused drugs, any medical condtions you have now , ie, high blood pressure , high triglicirides, high liver functions ,will almost all come down. Just stay focused and realize you can undo most ot the damage..........I did, Im now med free ,and can work out up to 3 hours at the gym, and Im 56..........hang in there and stay focused...........thats what saved me............Read my profile/bio page..........Best wishes..........Lloyd
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    hi i made a decision in june to make my life healthier.I am 58 years old and have had 2 knee replacements and also have back problems and arthritis,so my lifestyle was fairly sedenetary because i also work at a checkout in a supermarket sitting for 9 hours a day ( i work full time} I think this site is just what I needed and am making steady progress.You sound just as determined as me to get the job done I will send you a friend request and if you wish we can do this together.Good Luck
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    For what it's worth, the BBC published this the other day and I think it's a good read for anyone struggling with diabetes-type issues. It's definitely encouraging at any rate: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13887909
  • Glasses01
    Glasses01 Posts: 6 Member
    Well, I just posted my problem which is very much the same problem you're having. I'm 60 years old 127lbs and my fasting blood sugar the other morning was 251. I always try to watch my carbs but just wondering if it will really help. I can never get it below 100. I'm waiting to see what my A-1C will be. I exercise at least 4x /week aerobic and weight training. Go figure.
  • bbbeaverson
    bbbeaverson Posts: 10 Member
    Hey,

This is a big reason I am dieting too. Diabetes runs in the family the same as it does in yours. We can do this! Keep a strong will and remember everyday why we are doing it. I like to think that we are in this together.

Best of luck,
    Fiona x
  • ginadaye
    ginadaye Posts: 39 Member
    Unfortunately diabetes is a disease and a malfunctioning of the body (pancreas I believe?), and it doesn't matter whether you are overweight or not - skinny people DO get diabetes. I have a cousin who is like a walking skeleton and she is severely diabetic. She is underweight, eats junk food and is in and out of the hospital. She lives with a foot problem that threatens amputation any time and she is only in her 40's. So, there may come a time when we will HAVE to be on meds - the longer you have diabetes the more likely that at some point your body will require medication. As rockchick says, we are all in this together. All we can do is our best. Good luck to you. Hang in there. Whether healthy eating keeps your diabetes at bay or whether it is time to take meds, things are better when we treat our bodies well with good food and exercise!