Protien shakes for dummies....

Options
2»

Replies

• rdmchugh
    rdmchugh Posts: 76
    Options
    Dummies question: what advantage do protein shakes provide?

Please keep in mind I am a dedicated "Clean eating" person. I avoid anything that is processed or has non-natural ingredients or anything made with "scientific name" ingredients (stuff I cant pronounce).

I am trying to understand why protein shakes seem to be so popular in MFP.

Thanks for your patience and help with stupid questions :)
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I put the milk in first, then add the powder. For some reason for me it blends better.
  • mdhaymes
    Options
    When I mix I try to keep the powder suspended. I start the blender with the liquid in it first then slowly add the powder so it is mixed and dissolved before it has a chance to hit the sides or the bottom of the container. Metrx is very hard to mix without a blender.
  • hatchet83
    Options
    I had this problem and bought a new shaker. This one has a grill in it and it sorted the problem out!
    Hope you sort it out. Nothing worse that clumpy milkshake!!!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I put the milk in first, then add the powder. For some reason for me it blends better.

Yes, this is crucial actually.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

Please keep in mind I am a dedicated "Clean eating" person. I avoid anything that is processed or has non-natural ingredients or anything made with "scientific name" ingredients (stuff I cant pronounce).

I'd love to know this too.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

I am close to my weight goal and consequently worried about losing muscle weight instead of fat. Last time I got this low I still wasn't happy with my body. I felt my upper body was too thin, and my lower still had too much fat. So this time I've decided to really try and focus on retaining muscle as much as possible. I've read the way to do this is to have small calorie deficits and to make sure I am eating plenty of protein (at least 1g per pound of lean body mass, my guess is 130 for me, or I have my macro set at 40% of my calories).

Additionally, I eat too much in the afternoons, I "graze" if you will. I swear it's real hunger. I think. Protein shakes are very filling.....

So to solve both problems I've decided to try protein shakes for my afternoon snack.

This is why I am drinking protein shakes. I know many do it after workouts to help with muscle recovery. I've read that that is a borderline myth.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

I'd love to know this too.

A few starting points about protein here....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taso42/view/whey-protein-101-120880
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I just use a shaker bottle for mine (also EAS) ... I mix it with 8oz of water... shake it up. Then I wait a few minutes, and shake again. I've found that the mix-wait-mix works pretty well.