morning exercise = increase in appetite?

Options
I'm a night person and have always worked out late at night after dinner. This week I've started doing my hour of cardio in the mornings after a small (150 cal) breakfast, and I've been so ravenously hungry all day, even though I try to eat every 2-3 hours. This is very annoying. I feel insatiable! Its become hard to stay within my 1200 goal! Help!

Replies

• PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Maybe a smoothie after your workout?
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Protein shake or some other form of protein after working out might help. My husband's favorite is 1 c blueberries, frozen (or other kind of berries), 1 c protein powder, 1 c coconut milk, blend and drink. I like it with a little banana in it and he tried some peanut butter and lowered the protein powder and liked it. Try your own variations.
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    I usually eat after workouts but its in the afternoon that I get hunger pangs. gahh!
  • dltacderas
    Options
    My post running snack is low fat chocolate milk! Helps me get more energy! Lots of protein!
  • esslgs
    esslgs Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi,
    Before I excersize I have a light cheese stick. Then whe I get back from my workout I have an omelet made with 3/4c egg beaters/egg whites, all kinds of veg and 1/4 2% cheese. It fills me up and keeps me going until lunch. I hope this helps.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I second or third the increase in protein, but I'll add to increase your fiber, too. I love to have a protein shake (Jay Robb and milk) after a hardworkout in the am, with oatmeal and fresh fruit for breakfast. I often add some nuts to my oatmeal, too. Lots of protein and lots of fiber to keep me full until lunch..........
  • Bumblebee26
    Bumblebee26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Eggs, turkey and chicken are my friends. I always have boiled eggs on stand by and peanut butter. You can also buy some Fiber one bars or the 25% less sugar quaker bars.
  • Goal4Good
    Goal4Good Posts: 115
    Options
    Kind of sounds like the morning exercise really puts your metabolism in overdrive. I'm a morning exerciser myself but that's by choice. I have not noticed that it makes me hungry all day. Matter of fact, I get really hungry in the evenings. I get up really early and tend to go to bed early so that helps me avoid overeating at night. I couldn't exercise at night if I wanted to anyway, cause I get sleepy late afternoon! I would say that if you are starving all day, go back to the evening exercise if you are able to do so. Just find what works best for your body clock.
  • sfeld1
    sfeld1 Posts: 8
    Options
    You defaintly should eat something post work out. From what I have heard/read your body needs something within 20mins of working out to keep your metabolisim going. It should be something high in protien because protien will keep you full longer. I reccomend oatmeal, yogurt with low fat granola/fruit/nuts, cheese with whole wheat crackers, or a smoothie with whey protien powder. If you dont start your with something substatial the hunger pangs will creep in.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I usually eat after workouts but its in the afternoon that I get hunger pangs. gahh!

I eat eggs for breakfast after my morning workouts. I've just started added a protien shake as my afternoon snacks since this is my most hungry time as well.