surgery

Options
just had shoulder surgery. How does surgery affect weight loss? I will have limited movement for 6 wks. Will my body need more calories to heal? Or, because of inactivity should I cut back from 1400 to 1200 calories?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is good if you are sedentary. It is what the normal body needs to function.
  • jjbnfo
    jjbnfo Posts: 15
    Options
    As someone who's had elbow surgery, and had limited use of the arm for a couple months, I'd say eat a wee bit more than you were before the surgery. You definitely want to heal up properly, and quickly. You can resume the weight loss at any time (the sooner, the better, of course) but I'd think you'd want the healing to be done asap.
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i underwent surgery in march while i was well into my weight loss and was unable to exercise for 6 weeks - not even walking on treadmill was allowed. While I kept to a strict 1200 calorie diet, my weight stayed pretty much the same. I was shocked but so elated. I thought for sure I would pack on the pounds without my regular, daily exercise. I would suggest maintaining the 1200 calorie a day diet and I bet you'll be fine too. happy healing...
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    That might depend on how invasive your surgery was. Was it microscopic or invasive? I think i would bump up your calories for a few days, esp. your protein to help yourself heal. This would be a great question for your surgeon or physical therapist.
  • epoint
    epoint Posts: 88
    Options
    I had major abdominal surgery the end of February. I just looked back at my weigh-ins for that time, and my weight loss didn't really stall. It looks like I lost 6 lbs in the 8 wks following surgery, so not real FAST weight loss, but typical of how I've lost weight all along. As I recall, I just stuck pretty close to 1200 calories. Good luck and speedy recovery to you!