A binge is a message -- By Geneen Roth

Options

Replies

• kelgalon
    kelgalon Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just what I needed to hear today. Thank you.
  • brettjcohen
    brettjcohen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I usually eat well but it always seems that I sabotage myself by having random large binges. I'll try my best to use your advice next time.

Although I've often tried to help out homeless people or people coming up asking for help. Not to be too cynical, but very rarely do they want the help, they just want the money. There is usually some excuse why they just need the money and not the help. Last week someone came up to me at the gas station saying they'd run out of gas and needed money to buy some. I offered to buy a gas can, fill it with gas, and drive them to their out of gas car. I forget the excuse but somehow that wouldn't work for them.

Same thing with a woman who asked me for money to buy groceries. I just happened to have finished shopping and offered her anything I had bought. I forget why she said no but again she just wanted the money.

It always depresses me because I want to help people out but I don't want taken advantage of or to help fuel a drug or alcohol addiction. I've only twice ever had someone take me up on my offer of help instead of money (bought someone dinner, bought someones groceries).

Somehow I am skeptical of a wheat allergy. It strikes me as more likely just another one of those denials of help so help could be given in the form of money.

Sorry to digress. Kinda a pet peeve. But again thanks for the wonderful article. I'm going to print it out and try and make sure I read it next time I'm descending into a binge.

-Brett
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. It really puts things into perspective.
  • mandy031383
    mandy031383 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    BUMP, need to keep this around. Thank you
  • Dayna63
    Dayna63 Posts: 7
    Options
    Great Read, Thanks for sharing!
  • Steph4454
    Steph4454 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Great Post
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Love this. Thanks for posting.
  • hyphenbobbit
    hyphenbobbit Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Fantastic and sooooo true! Only ever overeat at night having had an awful day and feeling low and exhausted. Will definately try the 3 minute rule next time I feel that way...thank you
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I sooooo needed to read this today. Perhaps today will be the first of many that I don't cave in to the blueberry muffin from the cafeteria here at work. I'm never hungry when I eat it, but the work stress has been mounting over the last few weeks. It's several hundred calories that I do not need and, ultimately, do not even want.
  • dreamingchild
    dreamingchild Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. Definately going to check out Geneen Roth.
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    This just gave me another one of my greatest 'Ah-Ha!" Moments!!!!!!!!!!!!! Absolutely love this story and it's a must share with EVERYONE!!!!! :)

Thank you for posting!!!!!!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Thanx for posting this!!!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Wow.what an amazing approach. Thanks for sharing.
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, that was great information to have.
  • Bearded_Slakoth
    Bearded_Slakoth Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Wow amazing read. Thank you for that!!!
  • MicheleTh
    MicheleTh Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great insight.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    Thank you for posting!