Any success pics from girls that have PCOS ?

Options
katep2492
katep2492 Posts: 81 Member
I am really worried I got diagnosed with pcos today and I know the treatment is birth control which while I researched it, it says the fact that bc makes you gain is a myth but there are others on here say it's not a myth. so it would be helpful to me to see successful girls with this, that were successful while treating their symptoms.

Replies

• LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    If your watching what you eat and exercising regularly, you WILL NOT gain weight. I have been on birth control since I started MFP and well, my ticker doesn't lie!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Just stay committed to your weight loss. You can do it =] just got to work a bit harder then you would otherwise if it messes with your weight.
  • purplecait1212
    Options
    I don't personally have that situation, but my cousin battled losing weight with a PCOS diagnosis. She did well, but she felt like the weight came off slowly and stubbornly. Just keep going no matter what, and making healthy choices is always a victory!
  • MsCandyLynn
    Options
    i don't have any before or after pictures yet, however i have lost 34 lbs since weighing in at my heaviest post baby and my symptoms are slowly going away and im starting to have more frequent TOMs...PCOS weight loss is more like a marathan vs a 5k as in it will take longer and it is harder but you will still reach the finish line! good luck out there...and birth control isnt necessarily a nned to take..I have PCOS and i dont take it...i want to know how often my body is producing cycles so i refuse to take BC plus i am trying for baby number 2 naturally...but that is just my opinion of BC...it will help you regulate your periods and as for you gaining weight on BC is unlikely bc you should be on a very very small dose, not enough to make you gain weight...those that take some of the older brands of BC are the ones that will gain weight!!! good luck
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • Jayra
    Jayra Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight with PCOS! :) Here is a good link to someone that has: http://www.facebook.com/notes/danielle-renee-reynolds-collins/how-do-i-get-my-motivation/10150398283092575

I have PCOS and when I was first diagnosed with it, I lost 30 kgs (a lot of hard work). Unfortunately I did the daft thing and put quite a bit back on, so here I am again, getting in control of my weight once again.

A lot of times I used PCOS as an excuse. People say its impossible to lose weight with PCOS. Don't believe it and don't use it as an excuse. You can do it! :D
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    YOu can check out my profile. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2002. Ended up losing an ovary in 2002 from it and was put on BCP. I still take my pill to prevent my ovary from going Ballistic in my opinion. but i"ve lost 100 pounds in the past 1.5-2 years.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in April of 2010 after a several year journey of irregular periods and eventually cyst/pelvic pain. I have lost almost 7 pounds since starting MFP on 7/5/11 and this is working great for me so far. May be a slower journey, but it does work and it works pretty well I think :).
  • katep2492
    katep2492 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thank you every one this is deff helping me realize pcos is not a *fat* sentence! :)
  • LCDMomma
    LCDMomma Posts: 67
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS 10 yrs ago. They tried me on birth control but it makes me crazy;) When I was on it I never gained weight, it just caused me to be too emotional. Good luck. If you have any questions about PCOS please feel free to ask. I had to deal with many PCOS issues.
  • Shan80
    Shan80 Posts: 47
    Options
    I also have PCOS. I'm insulin resistant. I was never given BCP as a "treatment" but I was put on it to regulate my cycle for a while but I cannot stand to be on the pill - and we want to have a baby so I didn't want to be on any form of BCP on the off chance that I ovulated and we might get pregnant. I actually DID ovulate 7 times (that I'm aware of) on my own and got pregnant each of those times - but unfortunately miscarried every one of them - the last one being this past January. So I'm sticking with the weight loss and my meds.

What my doctor has me on for "treatment" is a pill called Glucophage (I take the generic Metformin) This is typically a med given to those who are diabetic - I am not, but it is also very commonly used for women with PCOS.

I notice a vast difference in how I lose weight when I am taking the metformin rather than when I am not. It works wonders with the insulin resistance and helps to shed the pounds. Maybe consult your doctor about this if you have a hard time shedding any weight.

I do agree with everyone else though - you absolutely CAN lose weight while having PCOS - it's just harder.

My biggest beef with the syndrome is that is firstly and mostly causes excessive weight gain, but also acne, hair growth, lack of ovulation and normal cycles etc - and the only way to really get all of that in control is to lose the weight....SO frustrating!!
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I think birth control helped me lose weight bc my hormones weren't all out of whack. You can check my profile pics if ya want :)
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I also have PCOS...it's very possible to hit your goals!
  • dryfli
    dryfli Posts: 39
    Options
    I also have PCOS. I'm insulin resistant. I was never given BCP as a "treatment" but I was put on it to regulate my cycle for a while but I cannot stand to be on the pill - and we want to have a baby so I didn't want to be on any form of BCP on the off chance that I ovulated and we might get pregnant. I actually DID ovulate 7 times (that I'm aware of) on my own and got pregnant each of those times - but unfortunately miscarried every one of them - the last one being this past January. So I'm sticking with the weight loss and my meds.

What my doctor has me on for "treatment" is a pill called Glucophage (I take the generic Metformin) This is typically a med given to those who are diabetic - I am not, but it is also very commonly used for women with PCOS.

I notice a vast difference in how I lose weight when I am taking the metformin rather than when I am not. It works wonders with the insulin resistance and helps to shed the pounds. Maybe consult your doctor about this if you have a hard time shedding any weight.

I do agree with everyone else though - you absolutely CAN lose weight while having PCOS - it's just harder.

My biggest beef with the syndrome is that is firstly and mostly causes excessive weight gain, but also acne, hair growth, lack of ovulation and normal cycles etc - and the only way to really get all of that in control is to lose the weight....SO frustrating!!

i totally agree with this post. i do not have PCOS, but my sister does and i am a nurse. your info is spot on. you should speak with your doctor about metformin and if they are not on board, get in contact with a doctor who is such as a gyne endocrinologist or reproductive endocrinologist. metformin is a must consider b/c of the nature of insulin resistance that you have with PCOS. going on the metformin will allow you to use your own insulin more readily, thus helping you drop the weight. otherwise this is a serious uphill battle without it.
  • mikesnwgirl
    Options
    I have pcos and always used it as an excuse for not losing weight. Well no more! I have taken an active role in becoming healthy, and have had success. Granted it's not always easy to get up and get moving, but it's totally worth it. I always tell myself it's just one hr. I know you can do this. Just get a good support sytstem and follow what MFP tells you and you will do great!
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I am really worried I got diagnosed with pcos today and I know the treatment is birth control which while I researched it, it says the fact that bc makes you gain is a myth but there are others on here say it's not a myth. so it would be helpful to me to see successful girls with this, that were successful while treating their symptoms.

Boy do I have good news for you! Now first of all.. right now I'm facing weight gain from having two kids and I'm working to lose it.

You should know several things. I was diagnosed with PCOS and thought it was the coolest thing in the world. I had always been heavy (at the time I weighed 285 pounds) and I was a Junior in HS when I found out. This strange syndrome was not only supposedly the cause for my irregular and unusually heavy periods, bad weight gain, unwanted facial hair, and being heavy.. but there was one pill I was prescribed that by balancing my hormones would fix the whole thing. I was given Metformin, which is commonly used for diabetic patients but also women with PCOS.

From that moment on I started losing while on that pill.. and over the summer I got down to 188 pounds and felt awesome!!!!

I was also told that this would make it extremely difficult to get pregnant.. but like I said I have had two kids so far. Honestly that part of it was likely tied to weight gain.

Anyway.. moral of the story is I lost about 100 pounds while diagnosed with that.. and when the weight was gone my Dr. Said I didn't have it anymore. Which was SWEET.

Feel free to add me as a friend! I look forward to having these sort of results again and I bet you will reach your goals too.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I was on birth control for years- just went off it in December, actually.

I always thought that I was just destined to be fat but I never really tried to lose weight until just over a year and a half ago. I'm now less than 15 lbs. away from a healthy BMI and my goal weight. Honestly, it is difficult. It is a struggle. And it sucks to see other people losing so much faster than you and having an easier time of it, but if you push through, you will be able to lose the weight.

Feel free to friend me if you like; I think it is always good to have supportive friends who know what you are struggling with. Best of luck to you!

Oh, and I've got a few b/a pics on my profile!!
  • ehunt26
    ehunt26 Posts: 5
    Options
    I also have been batling with PCOS for about 5 years. I was not actually diagnosed by my OBGYN but by an endocrinologist. When I went to see her for the first time she told me that the BCP does not treat PCOS but masks the sysmptoms. I was also put on Metformin like Shan because of the insulin resistance. Once I was on the medication it became easier for me to lose the weight. I faltered with my meds over the last year and gained the majority of my 60lb weight loss back. Im not sure if any of you had the same issue but I also suffered from hair loss before I started the metformin. I have started to use the meds regularly again have started to see some results. I would strongly urge you if you have not yet seen one to get an endocrinologist. Once I started on the meformin my periods came regularly again without BCP and I have not missed one in 5 years. I know how hard it is to struggle with trying to lose weight with this disorder but please do not give up hope! It can be done.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16. I was told that I'd never have children too. I went on bc to regulate my periods and help with symptoms related to the PCOS. I've had a total of 13 surgeries, all related to the Pcos as well (cyst removal, scar tissue removal, staph infection, etc.). When I was 25, I became pg with my first child, while on the pill, and yes, I was taking it EVERYDAY at the SAME TIME, and NO, I was not on any other meds (I get asked that a lot!). Anyway, when my daughter was about 8 months old, I became pg with my 2nd! (without every having had a period.)

Unfortunately, when my son was about 14 months, I had a stroke. Because of that, I was not allowed to take bc anymore because of the risk of stroke associated with it (you'd be SHOCKED how many gals have had strokes from bc!). A year after my stroke, after suffering a year of terrible pain 3 weeks/month, I made the decision to have a hysterectomy. I had a partial hysterectomy, and have never regretted it. I am happier now than I've ever been. I feel better now than I've ever felt.

I just wanted to share my story with you in hopes that you find you find your own path. No one can decide what to do but you, but know that you can make a difference in your life. Unfortunately, I can't tell you I'm a success story, YET! I will be soon!

Good luck to you in your journey, and I hope you feel well! <3
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    I have PCOS, was diagnosed in 2001. I had infertility issues but got that taken care of. There was a point where I always had PCOS and having twins be the excuse for gaining weight.

I was placed on Provera, that made me gain 5 lbs but I tried to defy what others say and los it fairly quickly. But mood swings were horrible. Really really bad. Plus it was the 1st BC I have ever had in my life. I stopped it and is currently on Yaz. So far I am doing good. There really is no cure for PCOS. It is a syndrome not a disease. It is a collection of symptoms. So these treatments are to control symptoms that may lead to other illnesses.

It is true that it takes a while for women with PCOS to lose weight but we will get there. I have lost 7lbs since I started MFP and even if I am not insulin resistant, I monitor my carb intake.

I know that one day we will be one of those PCOS success stories. We just have to keep on moving.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!