Protein always negative?

Options
2»

Replies

• MJStory
    MJStory Posts: 42
    Options
    Don't get freaked out by negative protein on your chart at the end of the day! The suggested amounts are strictly that: a suggested amount. It's a generic amount that is acceptable to most people with varying physical issues. There actually are people who don't tolerate a large amount of protein because of genetic issues, and medical conditions such as kidney or liver failure. And it's not unusual for some people who have these issues that aren't even aware they have them when they go on a diet.

I'm consuming almost twice the amount of protein recommended because of my love for things like peanut butter, cheese, yogurt, broccoli, and nuts. Protein helps you maintain your muscle mass. The downside to high protein intake is that it usually is accompanied by fat, which is high in calories. Choose your fats wisely, as most people are effected by the excess consumption of animal & dairy that have saturated fat (can cause hardening of the arteries & chest pain, fatty liver & cirrhosis, gallbladder & pancreas problems). Coconut and some other fruits & vegetables also have saturated fats, as well; dairy & meat aren't the only culprits!

A diet with high protein and limited carbs. is a moderate way of losing weight fairly quickly, and is well tolerated by the general population. High Protein is about 70-100 grams/day; Limited Carbs. is between 40 and 90 grams/day. Note that anything below 40 grams of carbohydrates per day is Low Carb. and tolerated by the body for only about 3 to 4 days with excellent weight loss. On or about the 4th or 5th day your metabolism will do a 180 degree change, and you'll stop losing weight, and find that suddenly increasing carbs. only makes things worse....It's called "starvation mode".

I hope this helps you all!!
    Take care, MJ RN, BSN