Husband's snacking is going to kill me!

Options
My husband is always been a snacker at night. I usually save about 100-200 calories and do something light while he breaks out the hotdogs, chili, cookies, pie etc. But I'm starting to want everything he eats...and even though I'm going for healthier options (veggies, fruit, cereal) I'm still wanting to snack all night!

Last night I went over by 250 calories with a bowl of cereal. I "justified" it because 1. I didn't go over my maintenance calories 2. I was actually hungry. 3. A change in calories can be a good thing...

But it's starting to become a MAJOR battle between me and snacks at night. I plan for some snacks...but if I had my instant gratification every night I could easily eat a 1000 calories after dinner! :grumble:

I know some of you are going through this without the support of your spouse or them changing their eating habits too. So how to do deal with spending time with them, yet not giving into all the stuff they eat?

Replies

• Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    My husband is always been a snacker at night. I usually save about 100-200 calories and do something light while he breaks out the hotdogs, chili, cookies, pie etc. But I'm starting to want everything he eats...and even though I'm going for healthier options (veggies, fruit, cereal) I'm still wanting to snack all night!

Last night I went over by 250 calories with a bowl of cereal. I "justified" it because 1. I didn't go over my maintenance calories 2. I was actually hungry. 3. A change in calories can be a good thing...

But it's starting to become a MAJOR battle between me and snacks at night. I plan for some snacks...but if I had my instant gratification every night I could easily eat a 1000 calories after dinner! :grumble:

I know some of you are going through this without the support of your spouse or them changing their eating habits too. So how to do deal with spending time with them, yet not giving into all the stuff they eat?
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    My husband does the same thing and what kills me is that when I first started this I weighed 100 lbs more than him. I swear he eats more than me and is skinnier than me. No fair. It is hard, last night I gave in and had a hershey bar with him. But like you said it does do good sometimes to go over your calories. Just as long as it isnt all the time.

Connie
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I do the grocery shopping & I "took away" all his snacks that I'm tempted by. He still has ice cream in the house, but not chips, not cookies, not snack cakes. Nothing that tempts ME too bad. I have ice cream once in awhile (maybe once a week) and save it for a night when we're watching a movie together or something like that. Other than that, if I have to snack when he's shoveling ice cream into his head I make some light popcorn or have a few pretzels.

Not the best advice in the world, but that's what works for me!
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    My husband is a junkie! He has a seriously bad habit of over indulging in sweets. I don't even buy them, he goes to Sam's Club and stocks up! If I do get the urge, I usually fix me a glass of chocolate milk, (1 % w/carnation malted milk) and go to another room to watch tv, or read a book.
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    What works for me is that I have eliminated buying about 95% of the "junk" that my family was used to eating. I just tell them that NO I am NOT trying to put them on a "diet", but that stuff isnt good for any of us. I do still buy them a few things that I have "sworn off". And, when I see them eat it IF I get the urge that I want some, I ask myself how bad I really want it. Normally I think about that fact that I am working sooo hard and have lost pretty steadily by doing what Im doing and then I find that the chips or ice cream that they are eating just isnt worth it to me and it doesnt even bother me anymore. Another thing I do for the few little things I do let them "indulge" in, is that I only buy a small amount and when its gone, its gone until I go to the grocery again. That seems to help keep even them eating the junk in very, very small moderation:smile: Hope that helps a little!
    ~Roni
  • jenrobi
    Options
    Same here. My husband is a skinny man, he's always been skinny. In fact, he has gained the most weight in his life since he has been with me (a whole THREE pounds!!) But that is because he's actually eating 3 good meals a day, and I cook pretty healthy for him.

But he does snack...he will sit there with a box cereal and eat it (I don't eat his cereal, so he has free reign on the hand in box rule) Or he will eat chips and salsa, chips and dip...whatever his little butt pleases!

I say, if you have the calories, snack smart. If not, occupy yourself with something else while he is snacking. I like to knit and have recently pulled out my knitting needles after a long hiatus. It keeps your hand busy and when you get good, you can watch your favorite shows and knit (as long as you're not counting stitches)

Do a crossword or something to keep your mind off of his crunches!
  • PhotographerOfNature
    Options
    I pretty much do the same as many of the women here as far as the stuff I buy to keep in the house. My husband is 6'3" and has never had a weight problem. However, at 44 he is starting to get a small tummy. And, even though he is thin, I don't think he needs to eat all the crap either. He thinks differently of course. :bigsmile: He likes to eat a big bowl of ice cream at night or a sleeve of Saltines with butter on each one. Yuck! But, I don't want him increasing the fat in the stomach because that is the worst place for anyone to gain weight. It's the hardest on the heart, lungs and other organs. So, I just don't buy the stuff I know he shouldn't be eating a lot of. Sometimes, I'll have a treat in the house, but not daily. Thin doesn't always mean healthy so I'm trying to do my part to make sure he has healthy stuff at home.